    representatives during the holiday season.

    My next PC will definitely not be a Dell. After all, if I look back, I did
    have technical problems during both of my last two PC purchases.

    NoMoreDellForMe, Dec 23, 2003

  2. NoMoreDellForMe

    Tom Scales Guest

    Now golly, this couldn't be a troll, could it?

    Best laugh I've had all day.

    Tom Scales, Dec 23, 2003

  3. NoMoreDellForMe

    BWL Guest

    ....No more than you are...

    BWL, Dec 23, 2003
  4. NoMoreDellForMe

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're a little late, chief. Most everyone in this group is already a Dell
    owner.

    S.Lewis, Dec 23, 2003
  5. NoMoreDellForMe"
    I suppose you mean "don't buy Dell's built in Nov. or Dec.". Don't know about
    that; mine was bought last October and has been nothing but bliss.

    I do know that you shouldn't buy power nailers built in October:

    http://viral.lycos.co.uk/attachments/1080/Leroid.mpeg

    Alan S. Wales, Dec 23, 2003
  6. that was funny.

    Mark A. Stewart, Dec 23, 2003

  7. Tom, man... I wouldn't go dell either, because of their bad customer service
    when I was trying to get my jukebox.
    does that make me a troll?

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Dec 23, 2003
  8. NoMoreDellForMe

    Tom Scales Guest

    You at least had a personal negative experience. This was just a 'don't buy
    a Dell message'. Even the Dell bashers can't take that post too seriously.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 24, 2003
  9. NoMoreDellForMe

    Keith S. Guest

    From CNET:

    Open letter to Michael Dell

    12/23/03 | 04:00 AM PST

    John Dickinson

    Industry veteran John Dickinson has a bone to pick with Dell's CEO: Your
    customer service just ain't what it used to be.

    Dear Michael,

    Just before Thanksgiving, you announced that Dell is pulling back its
    commitment to overseas customer service. That's a good thing, because my
    recent experience with your once-vaunted customer service demonstrated that
    it has deteriorated remarkably.

    Part of that deterioration must surely be the result of your company's
    remarkable growth, but no small part of it is due to the overseas talent
    that you have enlisted for this crucial function.

    I think that customer service is crucial, and I take it personally that
    yours has deteriorated so much, because for years, I have recommended Dell
    computers to friends and family, and in computer magazines and computer Web
    sites, in large measure because of your personal commitment to high-quality,
    highly responsive customer service. I'm sorry to know that that commitment
    seems to have waned so much.

    Not to bore you, Michael, but my saga began when, for probably the first
    time in my life, I needed customer service from Dell. I had ordered an
    incorrect memory upgrade component for my Dimension 8200 computer--which was
    no one's fault but mine--and I needed to exchange it for the right part,
    which would require some help from your customer service group.

    Sounds simple, right? And it should have been, but making that exchange took
    about seven hours of telephone time--and an enormous dose of the sort of
    patience I'm not well known for--with your customer service people.

    Just getting to the point of understanding what the issue was took several
    phone calls. The first part of the problem was a registration system
    breakdown. It turned out that your database had no record of my computer's
    existence, and your people would not help me with my memory problem until
    that was corrected.

    Just getting to the point of understanding what the issue was took several
    phone calls, which revealed a second problem. Your menu system, which is
    largely incomprehensible to begin with, is inconsistent. Dial the same
    number twice and you will get two different menu systems. I counted at least
    four different menu systems altogether. Try it. You'll be amused, I'm sure.

    A third problem is that there is something called a service tag and
    something else called a service code, both of which are associated with each
    Dell computer. Neither was registered for my computer, and in any case, it
    was never clear which one mattered, because the answer to that question
    varied, depending on who I was talking with. And that led to the fourth
    problem, which was that no matter what department I got connected to or was
    transferred to, none of your people seemed able to help me figure out what
    to do to get my computer properly registered.

    That situation was not helped by the fifth problem, which was that many of
    your people did not speak English very well. Many of your people did not
    speak English very well. Many were offshore at one of your call centers in
    India, and while English is taught in schools there, it is not anyone's
    first language. I should mention that I also talked with Dell customer
    service people in Mississippi, Florida, Mexico, and yes, even in your native
    land of Texas. Some of these people don't speak the brand of English I was
    raised with, either.

    When I finally was able to get my registration problem straightened out (my
    log says this much of the saga took about five hours on the phone), I now
    had to get the parts problem straightened out, which brought on a simple
    human interaction problem--lack of courtesy on the part of your customer
    service people. A man in India hung up the phone in frustration, because he
    couldn't get his database to access the information necessary to issue a
    return merchandise authorization number for my incorrect part. A second man,
    again in India, was exceedingly impolite, and so I hung up on him. The young
    lady that finally did get me the return merchandise authorization was very
    nice, even as she turned down my request for an e-mail confirmation.

    And so I was finally, after seven hours on the phone over the course of two
    days, able to return the old memory and order the correct part. Maybe I
    should just have bought the memory from Kensington--or shopped for it on
    eBay--in the first place. Then I would never have had to care that your
    system never registered my computer--and never found out that your customer
    service level had deteriorated to such a shameful level.

    Michael, I can only hope that your change in policy about international
    outsourcing for customer service is the leading edge of restoring that
    service quality to the industry standard it once was. I really do care,
    because I'd hate to have to change what I tell people when they want to buy
    a new computer.

    Sincerely,

    John D.

    << Back to All News

    Keith S., Dec 24, 2003
  10. NoMoreDellForMe

    Joan Guest

    Joan, Dec 24, 2003
  11. NoMoreDellForMe

    Pat Conover Guest

    Alan, That was GREAT!

    Pat Conover, Dec 24, 2003
  12. NoMoreDellForMe

    Michael Guest

    opinions are like assholes. everyone has one

    Michael, Dec 24, 2003
  13. "Pat Conover" *nospam*
    We aim to please!

    Alan S. Wales, Dec 24, 2003
  14. It's not about who's the best these days.. it's about who's the least worst.
    :>

    [email protected], Dec 27, 2003