Do you guys use SuperDuper with TimeMachine?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Dec 22, 2013.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    I recently discovered SuperDuper and it is nice. It reminded me of
    Symantec's Norton Ghost and I can do full disk clones to another HDD or
    into an image for full backups. I guess I will do those full disk
    backups, on two different MacBook Pros (10.8.5 and 10.5.8 with all
    updates) once in a while with Time Machine's backups on external 500 GB
    USB2 HDD.

    However, I don't like doing disk clonings/making images in the same OS.
    I would like to avoid conflicts that could cause interferences. Is there
    a way to do outside on a bootable media?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "When you can't fight on and drop to die; you're just a big tasty feast
    for the crows, ants, buzzards and flies." --unknown

    Ant, Dec 22, 2013

  2. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Which question are you asking? The one in the subject line seems to have
    little to do with the body of the post.

    Mixed use of SuperDuper and Time Machine is fine. I use Time Machine for
    regular backups, and SuperDuper for occasional clone backups which I
    store in different locations for disaster recovery. (My Time Machine
    backups are not quite complete: virtual machines and some large folders
    are excluded; I don't care if I have to revert to an older backup of
    them.)

    I've never bothered booting from a different drive to do backups with
    either Time Machine or SuperDuper, but I do try to have as little as
    possible running when I do SuperDuper backups, so the backup is as
    "clean" as possible.

    If you want to boot from another drive to do SuperDuper backups, that
    will work fine. Install a bootable system on an external drive and copy
    SuperDriver to the Applications folder on that drive. When you want to
    do a backup, boot from that drive and run SuperDuper, telling it to
    clone the main (internal) drive to another external drive.

    It should be possible to set this up on a reasonable sized USB flash
    drive (16 GB is ample for a bootable system with nothing much running).

    There are some third party tools which have some useful options in this
    area, e.g. TechTool Pro can create what it calls an eDrive, which is a
    bootable partition on the main drive from which you can run TechTool
    Pro, and it is possible to install other utility applications alongside
    TechTool Pro on the eDrive.

    David Empson, Dec 22, 2013

  3. Ant

    Howard Guest

    Not sure what you want to do. So I'll just say what I do.

    I have been disappinted by TM a couple of times in the last five years.
    It has 'forgotten' many months and months of backups on three occasions
    for no discernible reasons.

    So now I use an external HD, partitioned. In one partition I let TM
    continue, while I use SuperDuper to backup by HD to the other partition
    .... excepting a number of large folders that I dont feel I need to
    backup.

    Howard, Dec 22, 2013