    Maybe I should pull them out. And one of them can't read DVD, but reads
    CDs just fine. Otherwise they still work great and I never did anything
    except add more memory.

    BillW50, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    All true. A RAM batt is useful only if you swap main batteries or
    between battery and PS while the comp is in suspend-to-RAM.

    I went for it just as this is still my main battle station & was
    willing to go the extra mile, just in case. So far, so good.

    As for the hit on the main battery, maximum load is just a trickle
    charge, say several mA, i.e. a modest fraction of total current.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Guest

    BillW50 Guest

    Oh I mean a dead RAM battery probably drains the main battery more. Yes
    not a real big hit. But it still should be disconnected since mine won't
    hold any charge.

    BillW50, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    CPU is a 333MHz K6-II, not exactly da bomb.

    An explanation of my choice of apps etc. is in order. Some are open
    source, others are not, most if not all are available in somewhat
    limited, good-enuf free versions.

    Office 2000 isn't too bad on memory (better that Open Office, for
    sure).

    For WP I also use the ".doc"-conversant open source AbiWord - although
    I've sometime had stability issues. I associate AbiWord to light
    formats, such as .rtf, that don't justify starting a larger word
    processor. Likewise, I associate all the text formats (.txt, .log,
    ..ini, and a few others) to an advanced but light pure-text processor.
    There's several, I use MetaPad. You'll see how bad NotePad is in
    comparison.
    http://www.abisource.com/
    www.liquidninja.com/metapad/

    For browsing, current Opera seems to beat current IE (which is
    obligatory), even as the Opera installer grows. Beating a
    default-configured Firefox at memory use is easy as shooting fish in a
    barrel, and Opera has a much more ergonomic GUI. Much of the growth in
    Opera is in dll's for new features, such as bittorrent servent, which
    aren't normally loaded.
    http://www.opera.com/

    For bit torrent I recently opted for uTorrent. Lighter than the latest
    "official" BitTorrent servent.
    http://www.utorrent.com/

    I just swapped Psi, the open-source multinetwork IM client, for
    Miranda. Psi is cool in its being multiplatform, so I used to move
    some config files between Win & Lin.
    Miranda is also open source, Windows only, but lighter (~1MB
    download!), it's even so modulat it lets you choose deliberately which
    dll's can be activated.
    http://www.miranda-im.org/

    I use a Jabber via a Czech server (njs.netlab.cz) that also hosts
    interfaces to Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and a lot of other networks. It's one
    of the most plugged in servers I found so far. In practice, I only run
    Jabber & IRC locally, all the rest is hosted and delivered over Jabber.
    I could also do IRC-over-Jabber, but what the heck... :)
    http://www.netlab.cz

    For REALLY LIGHT browsing, nothing beats Off-by-One on Windows (OK,
    there's the text browsers, but U get the jist). It has limitations, but
    you've got to try it!
    http://www.OffByOne.com

    For handling Zip files (& a ton of other formats) I use 7-zip. On more
    recent Windows platforms I deactivate the built in compressed forder
    support and use 7-zip instead, which has a quite decent "file manager"
    interface that lets you navigate inside nested compressed files.
    Forget WinZip.
    http://www.7-zip.

    For .pdf viewing, there's a number of alternatives to the elephantine
    Adobe Reader. None is perfect, as Adobe has a ton of cool new features
    others lack. But it's also a memory hog and can be very slow. (FYI,
    there's an unofficial trick somewhere to cut Reader's start time &
    memory hoggage, and it works rather well). I always start with FoxIT
    Software PDF Reader (proprietary), then try GSview (see site for
    licensing, there's at least some three different licenses involved, I
    am utterly confused, but I am satisfied it's OK to use freely), and
    only as last resort use Adobe Reader.
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
    http://www.ghostgum.com.au/

    I delegate all image viewing, trans-formating, light massaging etc. to
    IrfanView. It even contains an interface for playing multimedia files.
    Forget the MS viewers!
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    For multimedia I do something similar to what I do for pdf's. First
    Zinf, then VLC, then an OLD version of Windows Media Player (version
    6.4), and only as last resort I use the current WMP monstruosity.
    http://www.zinf.org/
    http://www.videolan.org/

    ____________

    On the system management side, I use a number of tools that make it
    easier to regiment Win9x

    Process Explorer lets you know what's running, and also search for info
    if some item is mysterious. It's even recommended by MS itself as a
    better alternative to its own task manager. Sysinternals is a great
    source of other nfty utilities.
    Another jewel is Autorun, which dissects and manages what starts
    automatically on a system.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/

    For memory management (& perhaps as a remedy to memory leaks, I am not
    sure) I use the lightweight MemTrax III. The source (www.eyrisdev.com)
    is no more.

    There are several good tools for getting rid of most Windows-generated
    junk, but they can't help you with innocent-looking big stupid files
    you or some gremlin may have left around. To free disk space, a good
    measure is to go for the bigger items and question their utility. To
    that end, I suggest the Very Cool application called Sequoia View. It
    gives you a treetop, color coded view of the space used by every single
    file on your system. The Unix KDE desktop environment now incorporates
    a similar view. I wonder if Vista does. If it does not, it's another
    proof that idiots lurk in the wings at MS, their role being to waste
    the work of the army of excellent people who work there. (Please let
    me know!!!)
    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

    Instead of the built in task scheduler, which I saw fail miserably on
    several occasions, I use a Windows port of cron (I think) + GUI, called
    System Scheduler. It's easy to turn the Windows task scheduler entries
    into System Scheduler tasks. Sometime you find entries generated by
    programs that need autoupdating (e.g. some antiviruses), and have to
    manually move them to System Scheduler.
    http://www.splinterware.com/

    To keep the system time in synch with the orb, which is useful in
    synching directories, I use a tiny NIST-issued NTP client called
    NISTime. Notice that since W9x uses ONE (local) time instead of
    tracking local as an offset from UTC, which engenders a lot of
    confusion with regard to timestamps, I put my W9x comps on UTC and
    that's pretty much f***ing it.
    http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm

    This is pretty much all the tricks I know.

    Any extra hints anyone?

    Guest, Sep 20, 2006