Docking options for M1710...anyone have more info than the Dell site?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Brian, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi

    I've found 2 official Dell options for my M1710. What am I getting
    with the docking station over the port replicator? I can't find
    examples of the "XPSâ„¢ Media Modules and media module battery charging"
    or "D/Dock's viewing expandability with the D/Dock flat panel and dual-
    display support".

    Ideally I would like to have the M1710 sit closed in the docking
    station and output to a 24" dell TFT and 21" samsung TFT. I can only
    use one external monitor at the minute, and I'd prefer to not have to
    buy the docking station and something like a Matrox multi-monitor
    adaptor.

    D/ Dock Expansion Station for Dell XPS M1710 Notebook
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=310-8556

    D/ Port Advanced Port Replicator for Dell XPS M1710 Notebook
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=310-8555

    Thanks in advance

    -Brian

    Brian, Jun 27, 2007

  2. Brian

    S.Lewis Guest

    Hi

    I've found 2 official Dell options for my M1710. What am I getting
    with the docking station over the port replicator? I can't find
    examples of the "XPST Media Modules and media module battery charging"
    or "D/Dock's viewing expandability with the D/Dock flat panel and dual-
    display support".

    Ideally I would like to have the M1710 sit closed in the docking
    station and output to a 24" dell TFT and 21" samsung TFT. I can only
    use one external monitor at the minute, and I'd prefer to not have to
    buy the docking station and something like a Matrox multi-monitor
    adaptor.

    D/ Dock Expansion Station for Dell XPS M1710 Notebook
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=310-8556

    D/ Port Advanced Port Replicator for Dell XPS M1710 Notebook
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=310-8555

    Thanks in advance

    -Brian

    I don't know why you couldn't simply use the Advanced Port Replicator and a
    DVI/VGA (whichever connectors you need) "Y" cable adapter for display signal
    to the dual monitors. It's what I would try first.

    Admittedly, others here will know far better as I'd bet someone is running a
    similar configuration (I'm not).

    For the record, the APR's can be found new on ebay (with the accompanying AC
    power supply) at a much better price than Dell is offering. Keep in mind
    warranty considerations.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 27, 2007

  3. I currently use the D/ Port Advanced Port Replicator on an Inspiron 8600.
    You will also want the Monitor stand attachment that allows the laptop to
    sit closed on the port replicator with the monitor above it. I have mine
    hooked up to a 20" widescreen Samsung LCD through the DVI port. The port
    replicator has both a DVI and VGA port on it which would theoretically
    support 2 monitors though I cant check as I only have one external monitor.
    Currently using a D/View monitor stand with the laptop running open and dual
    display with the builtin and external screens. Email me if you would like a
    picture.

    HTH

    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Jun 27, 2007