docking station or other for Inspiron 9300?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Pat, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    I recently purchase an Inspiron 9300 laptop (my first laptop). I would like
    to use a normal sized keyboard, mouse, and monitor when at my desk (which is
    most of the time)and so am trying to sort out the options.

    My first thought was a docking station, but noticed that Dell doesn't carry
    a docking station for this laptop model (at least none I could find) . Are
    there third party products that would work for this? Is this a good way to
    go?

    Alternatively, the laptop has built-in bluetooth wireless. Would a
    bluetooth keyboard and mouse work with this, and (assuming so) perform
    reasonably well? If so, I'm not sure there would be much advantage to a
    docking station.

    With regard to the monitor, there appears to be connectors on the back for
    an external monitor (both DVI and analog). Will the laptop automatically
    recognize it if I plug one in, or are there some software settings that need
    to be made also?

    I apologize for the basic questions. I'm new to this so it's not all that
    obvious (yet).

    Thanks for any help.

    Pat

    Pat, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Pat

    Fred Mau Guest

    Targus makes several models of "Universal Docking Station" that connect
    via USB, ranging from $50 to $150.

    Personally, I would prefer the reliability and security of a hardwired
    connection over Bluetooth.

    It'll automatically recognize the monitor if it's plugged in when you
    power on the laptop. If you plug in the monitor after power-up, you may
    need to hot-key to it (Fn-F8 on most Dell laptops)

    Generally, you don't *NEED* any special drivers or software for the
    monitor. Windows will either have the specific drivers or will install
    it as a "default monitor" or "Plug and Play Monitor" and work fine.

    However, I usually *DO* like to go to the Monitor's website and install
    their drivers rather than "default monitor", just to have the latest-
    and-greatest color profiles and refresh settings.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Pat

    Pen Guest

    ell sells at least 2 docking stations for the I9300. Both
    are
    Kensington's. One with a stand and one without.

    Pen, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Thanks for the feedback.

    The thought of being cord free is appealing, but not if it's going to be
    unreliable.

    One other (dumb) question. Right now the laptop shuts off when the lid is
    closed. Can it be made to operated with the lid closed (and docked), or
    this something hardwired in?

    Thanks again for the help. Pat

    Pat, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Thanks. I'll check it out.

    Pat

    Pat, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Pat

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, that's just a change in the power options. I also don't really agree
    that bluetooth would be unreliable.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 21, 2005
  7. Pat

    Fred Mau Guest

    My concerns would be PARTLY reliability and MOSTLY security. I don't
    like having bluetooth (or ANY wireless protocol) enabled unless needed.

    Reliability - Just the general opinion that ANYTHING hardwired is more
    reliable. Plus, wireless keyboards and mouses have batteries to keep
    fresh, wired keyboards don't - No big deal but just one more thing to
    keep track of.

    Security - Sure, I can lock down Bluetooth and other wireless protocols.
    And that's great for today. But maybe tomorrow, somebody has a device or
    technique for defeating what I've done today. Is it LIKELY ? No. Is it
    POSSIBLE ? I can't say "No", So I'll take the more conservative
    approach. Just one less thing to worry about.

    Given that the cost of buying a bluetooth keyboard and mouse are more-
    or-less in the same ballpark as buying a docking station, these two
    factors would lean me towards a docking station.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Sep 22, 2005
  8. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Thanks Tom. I thought there had to be some way to do it.

    Pat

    Pat, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Thanks Fred for the additional thoughts and opinions.

    I work out of a home office, and so am less concerned with the security
    issue in this case.

    The main reason I was considering the wireless though is that I need to buy
    a new keyboard and mouse for this anyway (I don't have any old ones that
    aren't being used) and since it seems like the cords on these things are
    always getting snagged or in the way, I though it might be a good solution.
    I wasn't entirely sure of compatibility or performance though. I read there
    are different bluetooth protocols and so not all devices will work with each
    other. Also, some of the wireless controllers I've used (on game system)
    have a noticeable lag. That would certainly be annoying. And as you
    pointed out, battery life is another issue, although I've read the latest
    devices are pretty good in this regard.

    So those were some of my concerns with this approach. I think cost is about
    the same in either case.

    Any other thoughts or opinions are very welcomed.

    Thanks again,

    Pat

    Pat, Sep 22, 2005
  10. Pat

    Dan Guest

    I thought the 9300 was a docking station in itself. The sucker weighs
    close to 10 lbs. Can't you use a USB keyboard or mouse, plus a
    flat-screen with a DVI output? I'm not sure but I think a DVI output
    is located on the back of the 9300.

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 24, 2005