    for the Plextor SATA DVD drive.

    Does ABIT have plans to make motherboards that can handle more than two SATA
    devices?

    New Question, Apr 30, 2004

  2. New Question

    John Lewis Guest

    The IC7-G handles 4, if I recall correctly
    2 SATA via ICH5R with Raid0/1 if desired
    2 SATA via the Si controller with Raid 0/1 if desired.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 30, 2004

  3. New Question

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "New Question" said in news:chmkc.24687$:
    You would add a SATA controller card, just like you would add an IDE
    controller card if and when you run out of IDE slots on the motherboard.
    If SiliconGraphics or some other chip maker comes out with a controller
    chip that supports more than 2 SATA drives then Abit will probably offer
    it, of course, at an additional cost that is exponential to the added
    number of drives. Many motherboards offer SCSI support but if you want
    features like caching, melding a non-stripped drive into a RAID set
    without losing its current contents, and other advanced features then
    you install a SCSI host adapter card. SCSI and SATA add-on integral on
    motherboards are at the low end of the scale for those technologies (but
    some of the entry-level expansions cards for those functions aren't
    much, if any, better).

    *Vanguard*, Apr 30, 2004
  4. New Question

    TomG Guest

    an example of a board with something like 6 or 8 SATA controller channels
    would be the IC7 MAX3... I believe it has the two on the Intel ICH5R
    controller and then 3 additional pairs (I think...) on the SI controller?
    if not 3 additional pairs, I know it has two pairs...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Apr 30, 2004
  5. New Question

    LiFE Guest

    Why do you even bother with SATA DVD Drives? Is it going to be any
    faster? Stick to Regular PATA.

    LiFE

    LiFE, May 8, 2004