Does an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX work on an Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Todd, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Todd

    Todd Guest

    Does an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX work on an Asus P5WD2 Premium
    motherboard?

    I am going to be upgrading my system pretty soon (motherboard, and
    everything else), but since I haven't quite figured out which
    motherboard I am going to go to, I figured I was going to go ahead and
    get the video card I want, but I wanted to make sure there are no
    problems.

    I know my motherboard, this Asus P5WD2 Premium (not the 'E' variant),
    needed a bios update to support the Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2 board, so I
    wondering (and worrying) if the 8800 GTX was going to work.

    The current bios available for the P5WD2 is 0709 (which I am using),
    and there is a beta bios which is 0802.

    Anyone with information if this will work?

    Thanks, I appreciate it!

    Todd, Dec 7, 2006

  2. Todd

    Paul Guest

    8800GTX power consumption is 145W, according to this. Make sure you
    have enough 12V current to run the card. 12V at 4 amps would flow
    through the motherboard slot connector, while the balance of the
    current comes from whatever video card Aux power connector is
    being used. About another 8 amps from that 12V rail.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf8800_11.html

    I don't see a particular reason why a BIOS update is needed. The
    card should work without it. The 8800GTX is a single card with a
    single GPU, and is no different than connecting a 6200TC card.

    At least, I don't see a technical reason for needing special
    treatment.

    Why not just enter "8800GTX" in your favorite search engine,
    and see what experiences people are having on the private
    forums ?

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 7, 2006

  3. Todd

    First of One Guest

    Your current BIOS should be fine. The 7950GX2 was an oddball because it
    included an onboard PCIe bridge/divider chip to split the PCIe lanes between
    the two daughtercards. The 8800 obviously doesn't have this chip.

    First of One, Dec 10, 2006
  4. Todd

    John Lewis Guest

    Take a cool shower and try to forget the early adopter syndrome. Wait
    for retail Vista/Dx10 and driver maturity for the 8800 for BOTH Dx9.0c
    and Dx10. You will have a frustrating (and costly) experience for the
    next 6 months or so if you buy a 8800 now. Several games do not yet
    work with the 8800, which is a brand-new architecture requiring
    brand-new drivers - one recent example Splinter Cell: Double Agent;
    probably more Ubi's fault than nVidia's in this particular case.

    You will be a far happier and richer camper if you delay all your
    upgrade decisions till mid-2007:Vista/DX10 - OS and driver maturity;
    the full range of AMD's new 65nm processors revealed, both dual and
    quad; stable BIOS upgrades for DX10; wider and competitive choices in
    enthusiast motherboards and power-supplies, ATi's(AMD) efforts on Dx10
    fully revealed, real competition in DX10 cards driving the prices
    down, second-gen Dx10 cards emerging -- prices steeply falling and
    definitely re-engineered ASAP on 65nm in the case of nVidia, lower
    cost,higher speed, lower power. That 8800 GPU chip is hot'n HUGE.
    TSMC must have a truly squeaky-clean silicon-process for that chip to
    yield AT ALL. I would bet that each yielded part fully tested and
    packaged costs nVidia themselves $150-$200...... No doubt sold to the
    board partners for $300-$350. Gotta cover the $475 million development
    cost somehow.. So, lots of room for cost improvement with a re-spin
    on 65nm.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 10, 2006
  5. Todd

    Todd Guest

    Wow, now thats a sobering letter.

    But you do have a good point!

    I've already decided on delaying my purchase of a motherboard/cpu as
    I've already come to the same conclusion as you have. That in a few
    months, there will be the latest crop of next generation motherboards
    supporting dual and quad core CPU's.

    But I was thinking of getting the video card now so I could enjoy the
    higher fps and so forth. I play quite a bit of games (like BF2,
    BF2142, etc...) so I would enjoy being able to run the game in a higher
    res and getting more fps, but actually I was just about to buy Splinter
    Cell, so I'm not happy to hear that it has problems with the 8800. Of
    course, i've heard this game has a lot of problems in general... :)

    Thanks for the info John.

    -Todd

    Todd, Dec 11, 2006
  6. Todd

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    If the wet-blanket approach of waiting until all the hot spots of new
    hardware bugginess are put out vexes you, I can recommend the 7950GT as
    the card to suit your needs.

    It is mature, drivers are very robust, it is a superior performer, it's
    a true plug and play upgrade, no new PSU or CPU or motherboard required
    in an average PCI-E based system. You also have the option of getting it
    in 'silent'.

    I run BF2 with a 7950GT @ 4xFSAA+ gamma correction and supersampling +
    16x trilinearly filtered anisotropic goodness all at 1600x1200 at high
    refresh rates, and the game renders faster than I can move my mouse.

    I mention that to assure you that the 7950GT can handle BF2, it can also
    handle Oblivion at 1600x1200 no antialiasing, 16x 'bri-linear'
    anisotropic filtering along with HDR with, here's the best part, all
    landscape 512x512 textures replaced with 4096x4096 textures. The 512M of
    onboard ram certainly comes in handy with that texture loading, it never
    hiccups!

    It also has HDMI, if that concerns you. But it is no 8800GTS, then
    again, in three months, the 8800GTS will be yesterday's news, but the
    7950GT will still be a rock solid performer. I think the GeForce8
    architecture is very solidly built and will scale nicely in the future.

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 11, 2006
  7. Todd

    Todd Guest

    Currently I have a GeForce 7800 GTX, so there isn't much improvement if
    I go to a 7950.

    I want the 8800 because it is a DX10 card. The 7 series of course are
    DX9 cards.

    But thats ok, it's not a mad rush that I need it yesterday.

    I actually saw on Nvidia's site that 2 days ago they released a new set
    of drivers for the 8800, and it addressess problems with both BF2 and
    Splinter Cell: Double agent..

    Anyways, as you said, the drivers will mature in time. I'll give it a
    few months.

    Todd, Dec 12, 2006