Does an upgrade from AMD Athlon Duo Core2 4000+ to AMD 6000+ make sense?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Ritter 197, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    I have presently an HP Pavillion desktop a1610n, with a AMD Athlon 64X2 duo
    core processor.
    Does an upgrade to a AMD 6000 make any sense? I am limited by the ASUS
    Motherboard NODUSM3 1.05.

    The "passcore" for CPU's says 866 for the former and only 1263 for the
    6000.That is an increase of only 397 points, but I have no idea what that
    really means.

    My son just upgraded his to an Intel E8400 and an Asus LGA775 MB and his
    "passcore" for CPU is 1774, that is 908 points higher. But it is more
    expensive because of the motherboard.

    I do not do any fast games, only word processing, e-mail, internet, digital
    photography and digital movies. Also power point and beginning with MS
    Publisher.

    I also use Trend Micro for Anti Virus and it takes a long time to finish
    that on start up (like 90 seconds or so) my son's with the same Trend Micro
    7 seconds. That always annoys me on my computer because you cannot get to
    Internet or mail until Trend Micro has finished its work.

    Ritter 197, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Ritter 197 heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :
    I think for the applications you use, this opgrade does not make any
    sense (to me at least).
    Also I went from a 3800+ single core to 5000+ dualcore, and I really
    was a bit disappointed when I look at the difference between these two.

    André

    André, PE1PQX, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Ritter 197

    Wes Newell Guest

    This part at least has very little to do with with the CPU speed and
    almost everything to do with your file system and the number of files on
    your system. The reason his is so much faster is because it's a new
    install. Give it time, and it will slow down too. That's the nature of
    windows. You might want to start defragging your system one night. That
    will probably help.

    Wes Newell, Feb 19, 2008