    I'm not sure what they mean by this. What I am curious is how the devices were
    programmed, and what software tools were used to write the code. Linux based
    preferably.

    The Eighth Doctor, Apr 11, 2005

  2. The Eighth Doctor

    Leon Heller Guest

    I've got some samples but haven't tried them yet. They can be programmed in
    the PICkit 1, with an adapter, or with the ICD 2.

    Leon

    Leon Heller, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Gregg:

    We use the 10F20X here for our smallest products. We've been using them
    since November. We got the kits when they first came out, so I guess
    I've got some experience with it.

    We're using CCSC, which is available on Linux. You can also write the
    code in assembly, and in fact you'll may have to write some parts in
    assembly. Nothing extravagant; the TRIS and OPTION registers are only
    accessible via the TRIS and OPTION commands in assembly. CCS recently
    included some statements to work with them, but the code wasn't broken
    so I didn't fix it.

    You'll have to have an up-to-date version of CCSC. Note that they
    "fixed" some things when they added support for the 10F20X, so if you're
    upgrading from a previous version get ready for some serious pain.

    It's a Windows shop here, and we use Quickwriter for the programming.
    Depending on the board, we have a $2 ICSP module that sits on the board
    or we use the $200 6-pin SOT-6 programmer before they get soldered on.
    It takes a while and the fuse settings don't seem to play nice together.
    You'll have to edit the configuration word in QW if you want the MCLR to
    stay off.

    The development kit from microchip isn't supported in Linux. You may
    have to run an emulator or as they like to say on Slashdot, "Just write
    your own." I'd go for the emulator. ;)

    The development kit they sent you won't work until you update the
    software. (At least, that was the case in November.) Go here and get the
    latest software:
    http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en010053

    Good luck and have fun. It's a good little chip, and we're selling
    thousands of units based on it. It's making a big positive impact on our
    bottom line.

    Magnus McElroy, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Hello from the Eghth Doctor
    Thank you for your kind advice. However, I have the regular parts here, not the
    programming kit. Still for what I ordered the sample parts for, and what I've planned
    for that, I should think your right.

    The Eighth Doctor, Apr 17, 2005