Does anyone know the physical location of the KV7 motherboard temperature sensor?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by tanstafl, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. tanstafl

    tanstafl Guest

    The KV7 has an oddity where the CPU temp is about three degrees lower
    than the system temp. I can't spot the board temperature sensor
    location. If anyone knows. I'd appreciate the info. RTM'd but no
    mention of the sensor location in the manual or the Abit website.

    I don't think this is a bug, or indeed anything that needs resolution
    - just my curiosity itching. All my other boards have always had a
    warmer CPU. There's a constant 3*C spread at idle (40*C CPU - 43*C
    board) is typical. They both track ambient air temp in lockstep.
    Under load, the board will heat up faster and further than the CPU
    (43*C CPU - 50*C board) is typical. I think this is due to having a
    huge slug of copper sitting on the CPU and no active cooling for the
    board sensor. The temperatures converge back to the 3*C spread.

    My prime suspicion is that it might be adjacent to the NB and under
    the umbrella of the NB heat sink/fan. The next candidate would be
    near the memory sticks. Or anywhere else that produces heat linked to
    CPU processing. A big problem is that I have no idea what it might
    look like. The tasks involved are CPU/RAM intensive, no graphics load
    and very little I/O to external SCSI drives.

    I don't think anything is amiss here, the system has been flawless
    since I built it a couple months ago - it was the easiest, most
    uneventful board install I've ever done. Curiosity is a harsh master.

    tanstafl, Jul 31, 2005

  2. tanstafl

    Spajky Guest

    take a thin plastic tube & blow toward different parts of MoBo while
    watching temps; when drops fast for few deg.C, you located the area
    .... :)

    Spajky, Jul 31, 2005

  3. tanstafl

    tanstafl Guest

    Now that's a simplistic, banal and almost trite response that borders
    on the verge of insulting!!!

    Made all the more intolerable by the fact that I didn't think of it
    meself :) Thanks for the idea - I'm sure it will put the curiosity
    beast at bay.

    tanstafl, Aug 1, 2005
  4. tanstafl

    Spajky Guest

    :)))

    thats How I spot mine 1cm2 close, than with magnifying glass I checked
    all smd stuff there & I spotted an smd resistor like unmarked element
    & measured it on my MoBo ... it was a approx.10k resistance (10k
    NTC).. yep, the onboard sensor ... :)

    Spajky, Aug 1, 2005