Does anyone know what this component does?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Fredrik Hofgren, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. Greetings all

    Today when I removed my ASUS V9280 Geforce 4 Ti to adjust the memiry
    coolers a component from the card just fell away. The part in question
    has a duplicate shown by 1 and the one that fell away is supposed to
    be at 2.

    Photo at: http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~freho906/bilder/PICT0739.JPG

    Curious as I am I took the card, after failing to solder the part back
    on, and stuck it into a less delicate(read expensive) computer than it
    came from. Guess what! The card still worked as far as I could tell,
    Windows XP booted ok without any odd messages, I did however not do
    any stress tests like gaming and so on.

    Very strange.
    What is the part doing? Something related to the memory I suppose
    judging from the placement on the card and its twin by the other
    memory bank.

    Anyone have any idea?

    Regards
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Hofgren, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Fredrik Hofgren

    Augustus Guest

    Very strange.
    It's a capacitor....it filters, stores and regulates power going to the
    various components. That particular one conditions the power to the 2 memory
    modules it sits between. It's not unheard of for a card to function with one
    missing...there was one guy in the Q/A section of Maximum PC with the same
    situation and he said the card functioned normally...best thing to do is to
    try and solder it back on. Best of luck

    Augustus, Jul 31, 2004

  3. Fredrik Hofgren

    McGrandpa Guest

    That's a capacitor. That type is a small electolytic capacitor, and in
    that spot it's a power conditioning filter for the two ram chips on
    either side of it. You may or may not see any difference in performance
    or image quality. Where that one was sitting got pretty hot, going by
    the brown discoloration of the pcb right under it. Looks like the
    solder simply melted away over time. Likely a poor solder joint caused
    the heat in the first place. From the appearance of things, that cap
    wasn't functional. Because of that, I'd try running the card as is
    without the cap first. It's very likely it will work just as well as
    when you shut down to pull the card out. If everything is haywire when
    you do reinstall the card, then I'd solder it back in. Do consider the
    issue of static and use a groundstrap with the solder iron if you do it
    yourself.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Fredrik Hofgren

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    That component picks up the electro magnetic flux field of the Earth's North
    Pole. Which in turn aligns the horizontal and vertical pixels on your display.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Fredrik Hofgren

    JS Guest

    If you attempt to solder the cap back on pay attention to the polarity
    markings on the cap and the board. The plus sign(s) on the cap must line
    up with the plus sign on the board. Assuming your board has polarity
    markings, look for a plus sign on the board and on the side of the cap.
    If you cannot line up the plus signs, leave the cap off. If you place
    the cap incorrectly you WILL damage your board and or power supply. The
    board has probably been working without this cap already. Just don't
    expect to get much overclocking out of the board without the second cap.

    Good Luck!

    JS, Aug 1, 2004
  6. Thanks for the input guys.
    After closer inspection and some slodering attempts it was apparent
    that a small portion of the PCB had fallen away with the
    component/capacitor making any amateur soldering impossible. I don´t
    dare use it in my computer so I guess it´ll end up in the trash or in
    the pile for "things that can be used as beer coasters" :)
    Some notes finally. The card has been used with a water cooler block
    for about half a year now, and the memory chips were fitted with heat
    sinks to make up for the lost air circulation, maybe the altered heat
    flow doomed the PCB.

    Regards again.

    Fredrik Hofgren, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Fredrik Hofgren

    CapFusion Guest

    Crash course -
    Check the diagram on the PCB.
    The color should be facing the diagram with corner. The other side of the
    diagram have broken corner / tab. The capacitor should be facing the two
    corner.

    There should not be any performance differences with or without that
    capacitor. More likely you might get quality problem issue.

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion, Aug 2, 2004
  8. Fredrik Hofgren

    JS Guest

    (Fredrik Hofgren) wrote in
    It was a bad solder joint from the it left the factory. Adding more cooling
    had nothing to do with it. Adding more cooling probably helped it live
    longer than it would have without the extra cooling.

    JS, Aug 9, 2004