Does anyone know what this means?

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Brian, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi...
    I've been having intermittant BSOD System Halted...Hardware failure
    shutdowns for the last few weeks. I've tried to isolate the problems,
    but so far I can't. Sometimes the system runs great for 2 weeks of
    heavy use, and other times it crashes right after the POST and before
    WinXP loads. The last few times, I've gotten various gibberish
    messages after the POST.
    such as: TRAP 00000002 Exception
    TR=0028 cr0=80000011
    cr2=00000000 cr3=00039000
    gdt limit=03ft
    along with a mess of other lines of stuff I don't know anything about.

    Does anyone have any idea what this message is pertaining to? Maybe I
    can isolate the problem if I can decipher the messages.....I've run
    memtest, m/b monitor, swapped memory slots, reseated all cables and
    cards. Fans and temps all seem fine, tried various VIA drivers for mb,
    and Nvidia video drivers. PS seems strong enough. I've run out of
    ideas???? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

    PS 350/ Powemaxx
    Dragon+ mb
    Nvidia mx400 64mb
    AMD 2000 Athlon
    Centron 512 mb...2x256mb
    IBM 80 gb master ide1
    WD 45 gb master ide2
    Norcent CDRW slave ide 1
    Mitsumu CDRW slave ide 2
    Cable modem using onboard ethernet
    NO PCI CARDS INSTALLED

    Brian, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Brian

    Fitz Guest

    Do a google search of 'TRAP 00000002 Exception". I found one article
    indicating it is a physical memory error. Try removing one stick of RAM at
    a time. Also check you BIOS settings. Disable ECC check if it is there.

    Fitz, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks for the info. I did see he meesages pertaining to physical
    RAM. I don't have a BIOS setting for disable of ECC. I'm using the
    Award 2BA3 bios ver. I did enable PnP operating system in the bios, I
    had that disables because I had read that many Dragon + users had
    better reults with it as a non pnp system. The last few hours my
    system has worked flawlessy, thats what makes it so hard to diagnose.
    I have never had problems with any other system I build. I hope it's
    not dur to the SOYO mb. Thanks again

    Brian, Jun 25, 2003
  4. Brian

    TomC Guest

    Brian;

    You seem to assume that this is a hardware problem, but you are getting
    BSODs & not spontaneous reboots or freezes, so it might be software.

    Try the link below and search for strings from your error message such as
    "trap gdt limit" and select "All the words entered" after "Using".

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=SO&ln=EN-US&FR=0

    I can't find your exact message there, but there are software solutions to
    problems that sound similar to yours.

    Since it might be software, if you have a system restore DVD or CDs, you
    might save a lot of time by just backing up your personal data and
    reinstalling everything from scratch.

    If you have the same problems after a system restore you'll know it's
    hardware. These days the first piece of hardware I replace for erratic
    system instability is the CD-ROM or DVD player, but with a Dragon I'd first
    check for swollen leaky capacitors. (Search this newsgroup on Google for
    "bad caps" if you want more info on that.)

    Good luck, problems like this can become black holes for time and effort.

    -TomC-

    TomC, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Brian

    TomC Guest

    Brian;

    On looking at your post again, I noticed that you have your two CDRWs as
    slaves to your hard drives. Try putting the HDs on IDE1 as master/slave, the
    CDRWs on IDE2.

    -TomC-

    TomC, Jun 26, 2003
  6. the ass...

    My previous system, an Abit KT7-RAID, would flake out when
    it was in use for several hours. Ran memtest86 looped
    overnight, narrowed it down to a one faulty memory module,
    RMA'ed it. The funny part is it would always test fine
    until it was "warmed" up. All is well now.

    Give it a try, http://www.memtest86.com

    Michael J. Apollyon, Jun 26, 2003
  7. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Tom,
    Thanks so much for your reply. I'll try your HD suggestion. I assumed
    it was a hardware failure, because the message I receive is "System
    Halted, hardware failure contact your vendor". I also chg'd my surge
    protector to a new one, and for 2 days no crashes, however I also
    pulled out i stck of RAM to try and isolate if 1 stick was bad.....

    Brian, Jun 27, 2003
  8. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I will give it a try...I've always thought that it was best to
    separate the two HD's on different ide channels.....and use the CDRW
    as slaves for optimum performance.

    Brian, Jun 27, 2003
  9. Brian

    jnole

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trap 00000002 Issue resolved

    Hi guys,

    When I first saw this issue on my PC I was sure it was a Hard Drive issue. I bought a new hard drive and the issue popped up again (what a waste of money). I tried to narrow the issue by checking the ram (one at a time), changing IDE cables, unplugging everything but the hard drive, but nothing seemed to work. I finally gave up and assumed it was a motherboard issue, but after reading posts on checking the BIOS I went ahead and gave it a try. I first changed my BIOS to run at Safe settings. When the machine rebooted I did not get the error message, but I the same time Windows looked like it was about to boot but it frooze. So I went back to BIOS and changed it to run Optimum settings. After it rebooted, the windows message popped up and asked me what to do. I choose Last best known configuration. After that, Windows booted up. Woot!!!:D

    Thanks for all the posts. Save me from haveing to by another board.

    jnole, Oct 14, 2007
  10. Brian

    race07

    Joined: