    that I might remove the offending plist (or whatever else controls
    this)? It seems very unlikely to be stored in PRAM but please let me
    know if you even have an educated guess. Thanks.

    paris2venice, Jan 3, 2012

  2. I'm pretty sure the Finder gets them directly from the image file, and
    doesn't store them anywhere.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 3, 2012

  3. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    You may very well be right since the image has to be opened just to
    display the icon of the image. Unfortunately, that doesn't explain
    why I have so much trouble with image dimensions displaying. Some do,
    many don't in the same folder. Those that don't display do so after
    they've been opened in Preview (which, as you can imagine, would be a
    pain in the neck for 20+ or 100+ images).

    paris2venice, Jan 4, 2012
  4. paris2venice

    Gerry Guest

    How were your images created?

    Which view are you using with your images?

    In icon view, list view and column view the image is displayed in the
    icon.
    Again what view are using where the dimensions are displayed? Is it the
    Column view?

    You can drag all your images to the Preview icon in the doc and they
    will all automatically open, in just seconds, no pain in the neck on any
    other body part.

    Gerry, Jan 4, 2012
  5. paris2venice

    TakeOut Guest

    I believe the dimensions are part of Spotlight's index, so they don't
    show if that hasn't been done yet, and never show if you're
    Spotlightphobic and have disabled it. Even if you have not, images
    stored on external volumes don't get indexed promptly.

    TakeOut, Jan 4, 2012
  6. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    I departed on vacation the day that you responded so I didn't see your
    reply until today. I use Spotlight all the time so I'm sure I haven't
    disabled it and can't even determine how it would be disabled when I
    went to the Spotlight system pref just now. How would Spotlight be
    disabled in such a way that it would prevent image dimensions from
    displaying (in aqua below the filename in icon view)? Thanks!

    paris2venice, Jan 25, 2012
  7. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    Mostly from my camera but also public domain Internet downloads (by
    dragging images to the Desktop).

    icon view -- the only view that the Finder displays the image
    dimensions in aqua (to my knowledge) although some times, it may be
    displayed in the Get Info box.

    No. icon view.

    paris2venice, Jan 25, 2012
  8. paris2venice

    dorayme Guest

    You mean in your problematic issue? Normally, of course, image files
    do not need to be opened art all to show icons or previews or
    information. In the View menu at the top of the screen in most OS X,
    there is an option under Show View Options where you can usually
    control what shows, I assume you have Show Item Info ticked?

    What happens in column view?

    Those that don't, how big are they, filesize wise?

    dorayme, Jan 25, 2012