Does anyone know why nforce2 mic won't work on ASUS?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Nick Mirro, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Nick Mirro

    Nick Mirro Guest

    I have searched nforcehq posts and found nothing of value. There are no
    good answers already posted here. I have checked all possible software
    settings.

    The board is an A7N8X Deluxe rev.2 with all updated drivers. The mic volume
    is maxed and boost is enabled. There is only 1 mic output and it is
    properly configured.

    If I try the xp config utility, it appears at first glance to be dead, but
    if I yell (into a tested working) mic, a minimal signal is picked up. It is
    too low for the utility to acknowledge.

    I have a series of netmeetings coming up and need to get something working.

    Is the mic input circuitry just garbage? Anyone?

    Nick

    Nick Mirro, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Nick Mirro

    blasterbill Guest

    I found the same problem on the A7N8X-E-Deluxe rev 1.01. I was using a creative mic and got no
    input signal at all until I pulled the plug half way out and it suddenly worked.

    It looks like the mic socket is wired different to the normal soundblaster mic socket. As a quick
    solution I installed a soundblaster live card.

    Bill

    blasterbill, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Nick Mirro

    Kylesb Guest

    I have used 2 or 3 different mics with my a7n8x-dlx mobos (both 2.0
    ver) and nary a problem with any of them. I have a JVC stage mic
    model MV-30 and a headset from Plantronics that both work nicely. So
    much for the typical comment, let's see if I can help you a bit.

    I note you mention an "xp config utility". I'm not sure what this is,
    other than perhaps it's the default xp mixer program. With the
    motherboard comes an Nforce Audio Utilities program that lives in the
    systray and provides user control of the audio setup. The more recent
    audio driver/utility has a new design, and I will make reference to
    the new design, though generally speaking, the old mixer design is
    quite similar. If you have not installed the Nvidia audio
    drivers/nvmixer programs, this should be done and the latest drivers
    are, of course, available at www.nvidia.com (I'm assuming the worst
    here, ignore this comment if you have the drivers properly installed).

    Upon opening the Nvmixer program (double clicking the systray icon)
    the audio mixer is displayed on default. My setup is as follows: in
    the output section, the mic is muted by clicking the small circular
    speaker button below the Mic slider. In the Input section, Microphone
    is selected as the "input" device (quite an odd mixer, no mechanism to
    select multiple inputs for recording; I have not tried it but I think
    the generic win2k mixer will allow one to enable multiple recording
    sources). I have "Mic Boost" checked, and Digitize Input is
    unchecked, though the help info on this setting indicates you can
    check "Digitize Input" to enable application of global environment
    settings to the digital input signal and to have the input displayed
    in the spectrum analyzer display.

    If I view the settings of my mixer using the win2k "default" mixer
    program by double clicking the speaker/volume icon in the systray
    (this icon may not be present in your system if you have not enabled
    it by navigating to control panel/sounds/show volume control in
    taskbar) and clicking in the menu options/properties, I then see a
    dialog where I can click the "recording" option and then "ok" to
    transform the mixer into the recording settings mode to control
    recording levels for the audio hardware. In this mode, I have a
    checkbox beneath the mic (enabling the mic as an input) and clicking
    the advanced button beneath reveals that I have the "mic boost"
    enabled. The mic slider is about mid position, and none of the other
    devices are enabled for recording (no other checkboxes beneath the
    sliders are checked).

    HTH
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Aug 31, 2004
  4. Nick Mirro

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Ken Maltby, Aug 31, 2004
  5. Nick Mirro

    JK Guest

    I have seen the same problem on Leadtek nforce2

    There was a solution with special drivers.

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42999&sid=865a933582090a1a2df3075abf4ba415

    But I have bought a Logitech usb headset. No drivers necessary, and no
    soundcard necessary. It has its own, and it just works

    best regards

    John

    JK, Aug 31, 2004