Does Apple Make a V92 Modem for a G4?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by KC, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. KC

    KC Guest

    KC, Jun 6, 2004

  2. KC

    Charles Dyer Guest

    Ah... the modem which came with your machine? My machine has:

    Modem Information:

    Modem Model: MicroDash
    Firmware Version: APPLE VERSION 2.6.3
    Country: B5 (United States, Latin America)
    Driver: InternalUSBModem.kext (v2.6.3)
    Interface Type: USB
    SKU Name: UCJ
    Modulation: V.92
    Hardware Version: 1.0F

    which is an Apple V.92 modem.

    If your machine didn't come with an internal modem, but is a minitower G3 you
    should be able to get one installed at your local Apple shop.

    Note that _external_ USB modems might also work. Maybe. I've not tested this,
    but there's no reason why not.

    Charles Dyer, Jun 6, 2004

  3. KC

    KC Guest

    I called the local Apple store to ask about purchasing a modem. The person
    who answered the phone told me the G4 has an integrated modem, and unless
    the computer it came with a modem, you cannot add a modem.

    That doesn't sound right. Are they integrated into the motherboard? I was
    also told that Apple does not sell a modem for the G4 separately. Does
    anyone know for sure?

    KC, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Well I have the same question. I have a G4 but the modem is v.90 only.
    So the question remains: can I replace my internal modem with a v.92?

    Michael

    G. Michael Paine, Jun 8, 2004
  5. KC

    Charles Dyer Guest

    Certainly you could add a modem to G4s up to graphites; I've done so. Which
    model is your G4?

    Charles Dyer, Jun 8, 2004
  6. KC

    Charles Dyer Guest

    Check out <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58432> and
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=34578> and

    If you have a G4 which _doesn't_ have a modem, you can _usually_ install one
    and it's not too difficult. If you already have a modem, you might not be
    able to change it out for a newer model.

    If you get an _external_ USB modem you should (no guarantees, I've never
    tried it myself) be able to achieve the desired effect. Note that even if you
    have a v.92 modem, you will _not_ be able to get the special effects if the
    modem you're dialing into isn't also a v.92 modem. The major difference
    between a v.90 and a v.92 is the software which allows those special effects.

    Charles Dyer, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Yes, the modem is integrated into the computer. It may be on a separate
    board that plugs in to the computer, or it may be on the mother board.
    I don't know which.

    But US Robotics, Zoom, and Best Data (and maybe others) make USB modems
    that will work with the G4.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 8, 2004
  8. KC

    KC Guest

    Michelle

    I would try the 3rd party modems you mentioned, but to get the "modem on
    hold" functionality out of a v92 modem, Apple states that you have to be
    using an Apple modem. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25550

    The ISP is using v92 which, as Charles noted, is a must if you are going to
    be able to use the v92 features. The Mac is a digital audio G4 and does not
    have a modem..

    I've got a Global Village external v92 modem running on a G3. Works great,
    but Global Village doesn't offer any v92 specific utilities, such the "modem
    on hold" feature. You'd think by now someone would have come up with the
    "modem on hold" software for the Mac.

    By the way - thanks for the links to identifying the G4 models. Very
    helpful.

    Kenn

    KC, Jun 8, 2004
  9. KC

    stan Guest

    I don't know, but you can probably buy an external USB modem
    with v.92 capability for a modest sum if there's a way to connect
    it to a G4.

    stan, Jun 10, 2004