    Just curious to know if this is so. If it isn't then who does? My
    thinking is that if Asus provides the boards then I could just buy their
    brand instead of a Sony, Gateway etc. Please advise and TIA.

    david ortiz, Aug 16, 2006

  2. No.

    Logically, a laptop is a laptop; don't even consider that it is merely a
    collection of parts (motherboard, power supply, case, etc.) like a desktop.

    There is a motherboard, of course, but you can't validly consider it as
    just a component they way you do in a desktop. Every laptop should be
    considered to consist of a single, unified, indivisible product. In
    general, the motherboard of a given laptop fits that laptop only and no
    other laptop, and you therefore can't separate the design and
    manufacture of the motherboard from the design and manufacture of the
    laptop as a whole.

    Beyond that, even you had two substantially identical laptops, one
    labeled "Asus" and one labeled "Toshiba", both made by Asus, I still
    would not consider them to be the same product. With a laptop, support
    and service are as unique and important as the hardware itself. Two
    laptops that are substantially identical but with different "badges"
    still need to be considered as being two different laptops.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Right - with laptops you have to differentiate the brand/label and the
    manufacturer - the so called ODM (Original Design Manufacturer). There are
    a number of brands/labels, such as Toshiba, Lenovo (IBM), Dell or HP. And
    these companies also provide the service for the laptop. And they order
    their laptops at those few big manufacturers - actually Asus is one of
    them. Partly they provide detailed guidelines to the ODM, which model they
    want to be produced. But partly they simply buy a generic model (barebones)
    and fit it to their purpose - you find that strategy especially amongst
    cheap consumer laptops from relatively unknown brands.
    Some of the biggest manufacturers are Quanta, Compal (for IBM/Dell/HP),
    Inventec, Wistron, Asus (for Sony/Apple), Arima, Mitac, Uniwill, FIC,
    Clevo, Elitegroup/ECS, Twinhead, MSI, LG Electronics. source:
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop

    Some laptop brands like Panasonic, Samsung and LG Electronics claim to
    manufacture their laptops in own factories.

    So coming back to the question of the original poster. It might well be
    that a Sony laptop is actually produced by Asus. But that does not mean
    that the laptops from the same factory or manufacturer are necessarily
    produced according to the same quality standards. The same manufacturer
    might produce high quality Thinkpad T-series and at the same time cheapy
    consumer crap laptops.

    Andreas

    Andreas =?iso-8859-1?Q?Schulze-B=E4ing?=, Aug 17, 2006