    ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
    mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
    quirks.

    Lem, Jan 3, 2005

  2. They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
    (usually by Intel) to their specs. I don't think they do the nonstandard
    power connector anymore, but they do still do the nonstandard front
    panel controls connector. Also, some boards have had a somewhat
    nonstandard shape which may prevent replacing with a standard ATX board.

    Essentially, don't count on being able to change out the motherboard in
    the original case..

    Robert Hancock, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Lem

    Gordon Scott Guest

    most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
    Get a clone.

    Gordon Scott, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Lem

    Aosmosis Guest

    A company called Hon Hai makes them in China

    Aosmosis, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Lem

    Immuno Guest

    If your ever considering "looking under the bonnet", or peeking at the
    BIOS - don't do Dell!

    Pete

    Immuno, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Lem

    Ed Guest

    Plus the BIOS usually has 75% of the features/options pre-set/disabled
    that you will find on the same/similar mobo you can buy off the shelf.
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Lem

    Venom Guest

    Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
    Build it yourself using good brand name hardware and build it the way you
    want it. You will be very pleased with the results.

    Venom, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Lem

    DaveW Guest

    Dell uses PROPRIETARY motherboards. They are NOT standard.

    DaveW, Jan 4, 2005
  9. Lem

    FG Guest

    Dell does not make its own motherboards.
    But they are made to its specifications.

    FG, Jan 4, 2005
  10. Lem

    Rob Stow Guest

    Intel hasn't made a motherboard for about 6 years now !

    There was a big hubbub in the IT/tech news about it at
    the time - how could everyone have forgotten already ?

    Rob Stow, Jan 4, 2005
  11. Lem

    daytripper Guest

    Really? So these two dual-Prestonia/Lindenhurst server boards that we got from
    Intel (one is a "Roadrunner" and the other is a "Coyote") don't actually
    exist? Wow - that's a scary reality! ;-)
    Possibly because it wasn't true?

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Jan 4, 2005
  12. Lem

    Rob Stow Guest

    You weren't paying attention. I didn't say Intel
    wasn't selling motherboards - I said they weren't
    /making/ them.

    Rob Stow, Jan 4, 2005
  13. Lem

    GB Guest

    Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
    chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
    am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
    job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built than
    the price at which I can buy the parts.

    Your generalisation is a bit idiotic.

    GB, Jan 4, 2005
  14. Lem

    Tx2 Guest

    20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine goes
    down is worth it is it?

    "But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say

    Good luck then.

    Personally, i'd spend the extra 20% (which is how much on a home brew
    machine, £100?) and be able to replace stock parts.

    Buying Dell is false economy, IMO

    Tx2, Jan 4, 2005
  15. Lem

    Will Reeve Guest

    Remember you need to factor in the time taken to spec, order, build, test,
    run-in the system, install the operating system etc. etc. your £100 has just
    jumped to £500 at least (remember to also factor in the additional accounts
    required to source parts from more than one supplier).

    Keep well,

    Will

    Will Reeve, Jan 4, 2005
  16. Lem

    daytripper Guest

    Define "make". Do you mean simply that Intel doesn't have any board shops of
    their own and thus contracts out fab and assembly?

    If that's it, I must have missed what significance was being attached...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Jan 4, 2005
  17. Lem

    ric Guest

    you are an idiot.
    say you've got an enterprise company. you supply them with a large
    quantity of desktop pcs you've built yourself. these may end up at
    various sites, being used at weekends and holidays. you're going to
    support them all, are you? on site response with a guaranteed SLA?
    you can guarantee exactly the same configuration will be available for
    a minimum of say, 3 years, so that their IT guys can standardise a
    build image for them, are you?
    i build all my own systems and a lot for other people, but for
    corporate use you want something with a low Total Cost of Ownership,
    not just cheap.

    ric

    ric, Jan 4, 2005
  18. Lem

    Rob Stow Guest

    That is what I meant.

    However, I should have qualified it a bit.
    Intel no longer makes boards for x86 but I
    have no idea if they make any for Itanic.
    The significance goes back to someone else's statement
    that Intel makes motherboards for Dell. Intel contracts
    out - just like Dell.

    As a matter of fact, the reasons Intel cited for getting
    out of the x86 motherboard market were low profit margins
    combined with their failure to land any of the big OEMs as
    a customer.

    Rob Stow, Jan 4, 2005
  19. Lem

    Lem Guest

    I've also noticed that Dell have aggressive pricing and that no
    matter how much I shop around for cheap components and software, I am
    unlikely to match a Dell for price compared to a PC I build myself.

    I have the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that the component
    qulaity and the build quality of a Dell is pretty decent. Sure it is
    not going to be as good as a very carefully chosen PC put together by
    a home contructor. But as a mass-market PC I have the impression
    that Dell is rather good.

    ISTR that reliability too is better than average.

    Lem, Jan 4, 2005
  20. Lem

    Tx2 Guest

    I disagree.

    I can build and have a system up and running in about half a day.

    Don't tell me Dell's quality control is any better than mine either,
    'cos I know from experience in setting up half a dozen or more systems
    that it isn't.

    Sourcing the parts for a self-build? - an hour, maybe two - done over
    coffee of course.

    So, assume a day spent sourcing, building and installing.

    Sourcing and installing still apply with the Dell (let alone how long
    you take checking and double checking the specs before you hit "BUY")

    Of course, you haven't factored in the time you'd spend on the phone to
    Dell trying to convince them an engineer is needed when it goes wrong,
    with them arguing the toss, etc etc etc.

    But, YMMV, I'll personally never buy a Dell because today's convenience
    becomes tomorrow's headache.
    Why thank you. You too...

    Tx2, Jan 4, 2005