    Mercury Guest

    do a google. it is commonly (sort of) known. I read it a few weeks ago
    somewhere out there ===>

    Mercury, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Lem

    Leythos Guest

    The "Idiot" comment was presented to all of us by:

    Notice - it was not tx2 that posted the above

    Leythos, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Lem

    jas0n Guest

    What complete replacement? I said swapping some of the components into a
    nah, just me skimming and not taking it all in - im in holiday mode and
    have been relaxing for almost my whole 2 weeks now - brain is almost out
    of function ;)

    jas0n, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Lem

    Mercury Guest

    yes and your seagate drive from your local builder has a 5 year warrantee,
    but the dell non seagate drive won't.

    Big Names provide post warrantee / contract support for a [big] fee.

    Mercury, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Lem

    Mercury Guest

    a short run vendor specific board for a sony or dell (asus has supplied
    mobos for both) are not as good as "retail" boards. 100,000 mobos is a short
    run for a company that makes over 30,000,000 p/a. No offemce to asus - they
    make under contract.

    Mercury, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Lem

    Leythos Guest

    I get three years (as is common in the US on many retail products) for
    all the parts in the Dell's we purchased.
    Not as big a cost as you might "Think", when you consider the cost of
    not having a support contract, even for home users.

    Leythos, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Lem

    Leythos Guest

    Do you honestly think that ASUS compromised it's quality for Dell? No,
    more likely that Dell looked at a specific production board and asked
    ASUS to maintain a certain level of compliance for a specific time
    period.

    Leythos, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Lem

    Tx2 Guest

    S'okay - thanks for actually bothering to acknowledge it, some would
    have just ignored such.

    Tx2, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Lem

    Tx2 Guest

    LOL ... enjoy :)

    Tx2, Jan 6, 2005
  10. Lem

    Mercury Guest

    Short answer "Yes". They are made to contract - specs are frozen at a point
    in time while the base design gets improved across revisions or there is no
    cost cutting on mounted components for retail as they are competing on specs
    / facilities in the retail sector. Just take a look at the bios (also under
    contract) and update availability for oem mobo's. There is a much shorter
    bios life time. Take a look at the P2B variants produced for Dell and Sony
    as examples. P2B had many rev's - how many did Dell implement?

    The fact that many asus supplied dell mobos that had the psu cludge proves
    the point... how many of these mobo's got blown up by plugging in standard
    psu's when the dell psu failed? where was the warning sticker? who owns the
    product when it is paid for? I hear it is happening again...

    Personally, out of all the supplier they have supplied better consistncy
    than many others and in a large environment they would be on my shopping
    list. For small / medium, it would depend on many factors. As soon as you
    get out of a large city, the Big Names cease to have meaning as either they
    (or reps) are not where you are and time to get on site > 4 hours may be
    unacceptable (servers). HP / Compaq / Digital has always failed on this
    front. IBM was always yes - for a very large fee.

    Mercury, Jan 6, 2005
  11. I'd much rather just phone up dell, tell them what I need, and two days
    We've just taken delivery of 7 budget home PC Dell systems for home working.
    Every single one worked perfectly out of the box. Took more than two days
    but it has been Christmas :)
    Ahh, I hoped they do that.

    Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 6, 2005
  12. How many mom and pop shops offer 24/7/365 phone support?

    I feel I do sometimes!

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 6, 2005
  13. Any small time independent who goes out of business isn't going to have
    I agree with this :) I'm at a loss why they use propriatary parts. Unless
    it's for cost saving.

    Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 6, 2005
  14. Lem

    Leythos Guest

    I have a number of Dell's that have the non-standard ATX power
    connector. I tried several times to replace the PSU with a standard ATX
    unit and noticed that it didn't work. No damage to the motherboard or
    the PSU. I called Dell about it and was told it's a non-standard PSU. I
    ordered a Dell replacement for $65 and was done with it.

    A quick search on google shows at least 20 companies that many a large
    number of ATX to non-standard ATX (for more than just Dell) PSU cable
    adapters.

    There is still a large value to customers, home users, purchasing
    computers from Volume Retail outlets, even if you don't accept it
    yourself.

    Would I purchase a Retail system for my own use - yes and no. About 2
    years ago I needed a P4 for some .Net development work and my other
    systems were tied up (this was for my home), so I bought a Sony VAIO at
    Best Buy (retail outlet), it was cheaper and quicker than getting time
    to spec/order/deliver/assy a system by my normal self-build means. I use
    the same system to this day - they have a non-standard PSU size, but 5
    minutes with a dremal tool and I installed a 480W standard ATX PSU in
    it. I also replaced the video card with a dual-port video card, replaced
    the DVD-RW drive (which has a custom bezel) with a standard DVD+/-RW
    drive (the case had removable parts that made a standard drive work
    fine. I even installed an IDE RAID controller card in the system and
    dual 250GB SATA drives.

    So, while it's still a 1.8g P4 without Hyper-Threading, it still works
    quite well and has been expanded to meet all my home needs.

    The same is true with several of those Dell units. With the exception of
    the PSU connector, they all take normal drives (Hard, CD, etc...), new
    video cards, new sound cards, more memory (unless you maxed it out when
    you bought it) and even faster CPU's.

    Leythos, Jan 6, 2005
  15. Lem

    Andy Guest

    I agree with Mr Bronson - build your own and the you know exactly what is in
    it.

    Dell used to make decent quality machines but there was still a lot of Dell
    customisation which left few options for upgrading. But now they are turning
    out cheap junk.

    As my Dad always used to say "You only get what you pay for"....

    Andy, Jan 6, 2005
  16. Lem

    Mercury Guest

    Hey I am not diagreeing with you entirely. Perhaps some of my experiences
    will help you see my point of view. If I were in a big city with only local
    customers also in big cities then I have no doubt it may be different.

    Not once has a big name brand (BNB) been able to come up with a competitive
    solution!!!! Servers are usually twice the price for a properly configured
    system with no benefits [here] in getting the system off a BNB. When I
    specify servers, WHQL componentry is always a requirement, ECC usually, RAID
    10 always...

    I issue many RFQ's for customers for systems after analysing their
    requirements. I act impartially and make recommendations from shortlists as
    most sane people do. The customers read the recommendations and make
    decisions of their own. We are in a small city with many semi-rural
    customers - some quite large by local standards - think small by US
    standards, some require 24 x 7 HA systems as far as feasible IE they cannot
    afford clustered systems currently. Onsite service kills the BNB's
    particularly for servers.

    The BNB's tend to put far too little effort into adhering to specs for
    server systems offering packaged systems that fall a long way short of the
    stated requirements. IE they tend to read 'Needs x Window Servers' and
    respond with some crap (EG single P4 with 256mb then some dick on the phone
    argues with me telling me I don't need ECC, don't need RAID10 or RAID 5 is
    better always etc. when the spec may say 'Need WHQL'd Windows 2003 server
    system with xGB ECC RAM, ... raid 10 minimum 2 channels... etc etc.". Yes
    when drawing up specs I am actually conservative, but at the same time
    mindful of system lifetime requirements.

    Dell puts me off with their advertising: add $99 delivery, or $99 specials,
    or $x,000 for configuring SBS2003 onsite for max 5 users (labour only
    charge) for a "Server" that uses a single P4 chip, no ecc ram, 256MB at
    $700! (not US dollars) Adverts like that read like so much bullshit that
    they may as well shoot themselves in the foot. I pray I never get a call
    from anyone that has bought sbs2003 on such a system.

    Thinking about it, a Dell system would never do if there is a chance that
    PSU's cannot be replaced quickly. On some sites we do stock spares (HDD's,
    PSU's, Fans, backplanes, mobos, and 1U servers complete).

    Mercury, Jan 6, 2005
  17. Lem

    Joe Nord Guest

    Geoff

    This tool will remove them, some plugs are more difficult than others.
    http://www.action2k.com/molex.htm
    Extractor Tool #MO-11030044 For Mini-Fit Connectors

    Dell power connector: http://premiersupport.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/techov.htm#1101897

    Good luck,
    Joe

    Joe Nord, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Lem

    Tx2 Guest

    What are "mom and pop shops"?

    Tx2, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Lem

    Leythos Guest

    Places that only have 1 or 2 stores to their name.

    You could also consider a chain of stores that's only present in a
    single city/town a mom and pop organization.

    Leythos, Jan 7, 2005
  20. Lem

    Tx2 Guest

    Tx2, Jan 7, 2005