    bit newer than 6 years old. (Not the machine I'm on - the one with the
    knackered 120G drive in it)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Lem

    Rob Stow Guest

    The logo says nothing about who manufactured it.
    It is quite common for one company to rebadge a product
    that they had contracted out to someone else.

    See if you can find something on the board about where
    it was made, then see if you can find an Intel plant
    in that country.

    Rob Stow, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Surely that would depend on what blew. If a hard drive, optical unit
    etc. goes then you just order up random new hard disk and stick it in.
    Fans might be more tricky as they use blowers on at least the small
    desktop chassis, but the mini towers use normal fans. Generally speaking
    motherboards are not something that go frequently.

    You do have to be careful with the upgrades. Last time I checked (just
    before Christmas) a dual layer DVD writer upgrade was something like
    £99+VAT, and it only does +R disks, and a CDRW/DVD combo unit was
    about £37+VAT. I always get my own separately and fit it myself, takes
    about 5 minutes and saves a bundle.

    JAB.

    Jonathan Buzzard, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Because they offer something different. Tell me how you propose to
    build a system like a small desktop chassis Optiplex with standard
    parts, in a screwless chassis? You are not.

    Dell are sufficiently large that they can do their own case/form
    factors which allows them to do things not possible (or easy/cheap)
    if you are trying to conform to the ATX specification.

    JAB.

    Jonathan Buzzard, Jan 11, 2005
  5. It is only now that these flash 3D graphics cards have the
    performance of the old Matrox Millenium II on a PCI card
    for 2D stuff. The performance of WRAM was still is amazing.
    You also get a much better picture with those old Matrox
    cards than you do with these modern 3D cards. The RAMDAC
    quality is really outstanding. A really good 2D card is a
    Millenium II in it's ultra rare AGP configuration.

    JAB.

    Jonathan Buzzard, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Lem

    Rob Stow Guest

    I second that. I have solved headache and eye strain
    problems for a lot of people by switching them over
    from an nVidia or ATI card or integrated video to a
    Matrox card. Even a PCI version is more than good
    enough when you don't need 3D.

    In addition to the Millenium II, I would also recommend
    the G400, G450, G550, P650, P750, and Parhelia.

    I find the quality improvement is impossible to see if
    your current video card is providing DVI output to a
    DVI LCD, but if your monitor needs an analog input then
    Matrox is the only way to go when quality 2D is needed.

    Rob Stow, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Dell, Compac, e-machines all DO NOT allow you to change Motherboards in
    their machines... They want you to buy DELL etc. Parts. If you want, go to
    a computer show in your area and buy case, PS, MoBo, etc and put your own
    together.

    kk

    Kaptain Krunch, Feb 27, 2005
  8. Lem

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    How exactly do they prevent you from doing that?
    *some* dells use non standard motherboards but they can still be replaced if
    you swap the psu at the same time.
    Others are standard boards
    --
    Alex

    Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
    Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.sffh.co.uk
    www.ebayfaq.co.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, Feb 27, 2005
  9. Lem

    Clive Guest

    The cases are designed so 'stadard' size Motherboards will not fit.

    Elonex used to do the same.
    Clive

    Clive, Feb 27, 2005
  10. Lem

    Hans Wankle Guest

    My wife bought a CompUSA system at a yard sale that had a case exactly like
    a Dell that I bought about 4 years ago. When it booted it showed a CompUSA
    Logo on the boot screen. I was going to remove all the parts for use on
    other systems that I play with but when I got into it I was able to reflash
    the bios with the original Intel bios for that board and cleaned it up and
    it works like a charm for my grandaughter in college. I took my old Dell
    case and installed an ABit KR7A-133R in it and it works like a charm. I did
    have to upgrade the Power supply with a little modification to the case.

    Hans Wankle, Feb 27, 2005
  11. Lem

    Dave Guest

    I have an old Dell L600r, the WORST of the non standard Dells. The only
    proprietary thing in it was the PSU and the PSU connectors on the mobo. $159
    later for mobo, cpu, ram and PSU had an Athlon XP 2000+ machine. Dell, IBM,
    Compaq, etc only assemble machines anymore, they make not a single one.

    Dave, Feb 28, 2005
  12. Yes, but they do have mobos made externally to their specs, hence the
    non standard PSU connector.

    Gama Chameleon, Feb 28, 2005
  13. Lem

    Tx2 Guest

    [...]
    And the front USB connectors et al?
    I've found they use very specific connectors overall, not just the PSU.

    If you have any intention of re-building/re-configuring a PC, do not buy
    one of the multi-nationals like Dell, HP, Compaq etc.

    IMHO, YMMV

    Tx2, Feb 28, 2005