    Controller that support this?

    Thanks,
    Miko

    mk40, Nov 2, 2004

  2. mk40

    Vu Guest

    I have a GA-7DXR+ and it's got a 200GB drive in it working fine with
    BIOS version F9.
    You'll probably have to update the BIOS on your board to support the
    large drives as well. I think F9 or F10 will do the trick. Also you'll
    need to make sure you have an OS that supports the 48 bit mode as well.

    Vu, Nov 4, 2004

  3. mk40

    hbsimon Guest

    When I used a 200GB Seagate drive on a 7DXR+ on the promise raid
    controller, I experienced intermittent disk corruption and had to
    reformat the disk every time. The disk worked fine after moving it to
    the standard IDE controller. I
    used BIOS F10. There seems to be a problem with the raid controller
    (promise chip) on this board with large disks, but not with the
    standard IDE Controller.

    Regards,
    Horst Simon

    hbsimon, Nov 4, 2004
  4. mk40

    Horst Simon Guest

    I have a &DXR and not a 7DXR+, but the problem with large drives is
    too in the 7DXR, since it has the same promise chip and friends had
    even problems with 120MB disks on the 7DXR+.

    Regards,
    Horst

    Horst Simon, Nov 5, 2004
  5. mk40

    mk40 Guest

    Hi folks.

    Thank you all for your response.

    BUT... the mobo I have is 7DX+, not 7DXR or 7DXR+. Does your case
    still appplies?

    I do aware that both 7DX+ and 7DXR/7DXR+ uses same AMD 761 chipset but
    all the BIOS versions you have mention are not 7DX+, so I am not sure
    how much safe is to install them.

    Thanks,
    Miko

    mk40, Nov 7, 2004
  6. mk40

    Vu Guest

    Miko,
    I don't know if you want to risk buying the hard drive without fully
    knowing if it will work properly, but since all three mobos we've mentioned
    are of the same family (7DX??) I would think the latest BIOS (in your case
    F6 or F7a) will support large disks. I went through the notes on my board's
    BIOS and found nothing about large disks, but it definitely works.
    I think the only major difference between your board and mine is the
    Promise RAID chip.

    Anyway, you could try it and see, or e-mail gigabyte and find out.

    Vu.

    Vu, Nov 7, 2004
  7. mk40

    Will Dormann Guest

    Not sure about 120MB, but the 7DXR+ supports 120GB disks just fine.
    (Promise or standard onboard IDE)

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Nov 7, 2004