    I fried the onboard audio when I flashed
    the bios.

    Help. Thanks

    Not so quick, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Not so quick

    Scott Guest

    So did you fry the sound?

    Scott, Aug 12, 2003

  3. No. Flashing the BIOS doesn't void the warranty as long as the BIOS comes
    from the mobo manufacturer and is the correct one for your board.

    Too_Much_Coffee ®, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Not so quick

    Not so quick Guest

    The motherboard is replaced but it has a newer version
    of the bios, ver 1.3 This version causes crashes when
    using TMPGenc to encode mpeg files. I want to revert to
    the ver 1.1 which works fine with this program. I'm hesitant
    to flash the bios because if something happens, I'll have
    to pay someone to replace the motherboard and installation.
    It won't be Fry's though. MSI's web page says nothing
    about bios flashes voiding warranty.

    Not so quick, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Not so quick

    Not so quick Guest

    You make joke about "Fry" correct?
    I don't know if the sound card was
    Fryed before the flash or not. I was
    told there is little chance of a bios
    flash Frying an onboard sound card.

    Not so quick, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Not so quick

    mine Guest

    Flashing a BIOS, while not hard and not destructive should not be done
    unless you are trying to fix an issue that a newer or older BIOS
    version will fix. In this case where you are saying the version 1.1
    worked with your software, and 1.3 does not. I would say... If you are
    comfortable making a boot diskette and are comfortable that you will
    not stop the update during the flashing due to either you or say a
    power outage, then go for it. Save the 1.3 version onto the floppy
    disk before you flash back to 1.1 and you can always flash back up to
    1.3.
    Make a bootable disk Window98 will do well. Copy the flash program
    (the .exe file) and the bin file (the .130) file and run the program
    from the disk after booting from it. It will ask if you want to save
    the old BIOS say yes and name it with the extension .110 and then
    continue on to flash to 1.3.
    Good luck.

    P.S. This should not do any damage to your motherboard. Unless you
    are using the wrong BIOS files.

    Paul

    mine, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Not so quick