Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by santa19992000, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. ARM7 Microcontroller has 128K Flash and 64K RAM, does free RTOS object
    file can fit in that flash?. Thanks.

    santa19992000, Jun 4, 2005

  2. ARM7 Microcontroller has 128K Flash and 64K RAM, does free RTOS object
    If you mean freeRTOS (www.freertos.org) then yes it should, there's a port
    to Olimex's 2106 and 2124 development boards.

    If you mean free RTOSs in general then you'll struggle with the more complex
    ones such as eCos (http://ecos.sourceware.org/). You'll want one of the
    larger LPC22xx chips with external storage before they become really useful.
    The smaller task schedulers such as freeRTOS will be fine.

    Richard Tuffin

    Richard Tuffin, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Rich,

    I wouldlike to some kind of RTOS which should handle some socket calls
    and some loadable kernel module/Task kind of stuff, I don't need high
    end based systen, I would like to load low end based only, since on
    this microcontroller 128K flash and 64K RAM available, there are two
    serial ports also available, I need some CLI communication. I am
    looking for some kind of RTOS I would like to run (somebody suggested
    uC-OS-ii). Thanks.

    santa19992000, Jun 5, 2005
  4. santa19992000

    SmithK Guest

    What do you want to do with the CLI?

    uC-OS-ii is not free.

    SmithK, Jun 5, 2005
  5. santa19992000

    Neil Kurzman Guest

    It is free with the book. But you must pay is you want to sell you product.

    I do not think the book version comes with the TCP/IP Stack.

    Neil Kurzman, Jun 5, 2005
  6. This I needed to do some in-house project. I would like to do some RTOS
    project using kernel and loadable modules, also set something using CLI
    and all. This is not for selling to anybody

    santa19992000, Jun 5, 2005
  7. I have two serial ports, SPI, I2C, I need to do some communication over
    the serial ports, I don't think I can do some network based since ARM7
    controller don't have any interface to ethernet. Probably I need TCP/IP
    stack if I want to do some PPP over HDLC (serial port), even if TCP/IP
    not available it should be OK.

    santa19992000, Jun 5, 2005
  8. santa19992000

    Lanarcam Guest

    You will find live software update in commercial rtos
    but not in basic ones.

    You could write your own code for that:

    Have a task capable of receiving data through the
    protocol you are using and copy the code at some
    place in memory. Then create a task with that
    adress as the main function.
    You must find a way of generating executable code.
    You could reserve fixed adresses in memory and have
    the linker locate the code at these addresses.
    If you want your downloaded code to be able to
    call your functions, you can create a table in memory
    at a known location that contains the addresses of
    the functions.

    Lanarcam, Jun 5, 2005