Does hard drive quality differ with warranty offered?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ace Pope, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Ace Pope

    Ace Pope Guest

    I am considering purchasing a laptop hard drive with a one year
    warranty in Thailand. The dealers here also sell what I think is the
    same hard drive (Hitachi) with a three year warranty. I'm wondering
    whether there might be a difference in quality between the drives
    based on their warranty length. Do you think that the ones with the
    one year warranties might be "factory seconds" or refurbished drives
    or something? Or do you think they are of the same quality but just
    offer a shorter warranty (which means a lower price)? I think dealers
    here cannot be counted on to tell you if there is something wrong with
    the drive (though all the drives seem to be factory packaged in that
    shiny metallic foil).

    The warranty will quickly become meaningless to me as I am leaving
    Thailand soon and the warranties are only good in Thailand and only
    available through the dealers. I know that the chances that a hard
    drive will fail are slim--but I just want to know whether that chance
    might be higher with a one-year warranty drive. Would appreciate your
    opinions.

    Ace Pope, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Ace Pope

    Ian Stirling Guest

    I doubt it.
    OEM hard drives typically have a one year warranty backed by the vendor.
    Retail packed hard drives are typically 3 years, backed by the maker.

    Ian Stirling, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Ace Pope

    William Guest

    Perhpas the warranty is based on what the manufacturer how quickly a user
    will replace the drive. Would a user replace the drive within a year or
    less ? Maybe a user will keep the higher end drives that won't get
    replaced often with a 3-5 year warranty. In my experiences, I have
    replaced 1 year warranty drives rather quickly and the higher end drives
    with the longer warranties were active much longer in the servers. Not
    sure if it is totally followed in that matter, but I think it is.

    William, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Ace Pope

    kony Guest

    I'd have to disagree... Generally it seems to me that drives are
    replaced for either end-of-life issues or capacity issues, not "high
    end/performance" issues.

    Dave

    kony, Sep 19, 2003