    rpm down to a more reasonable level. I put fanmates on my case fans
    and an adjustable regulator on my cpu fan with no ill effects, only
    went up a few degrees.

    Cobblers!, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Not sure what fan you've got on yours, but all the IC7-G's and IC7 Max 3's
    I've seen have a 4900 rpm fan that is exceptionally quiet in use.
    It's a better design than having a completely passive fan. It guarantees
    that there will always be a good air supply to the northbridge, something
    that may not necessarily be the case with some watercooled, or even fan
    cooled CPU solutions.
    I'm sure someone has, but to be honest, why bother? Unless you're talking
    about the noisy thing fitted to very early IC7-G's, it's quieter than 99% of
    CPU fans, even running at full speed, and you can control the speed of the
    NB fan in Windows via a variety of utilities (SpeedFan etc.).
    That's a slightly inelegant solution given the options. Controlling the fan
    speeds via software enables you to remove heat when it's created and drop
    the fan rotation speeds when it isn't.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Out with the old & in with the new at www.dabsxchange.com

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Cobblers!

    TomG Guest

    Richard,

    does the built in PWM fan functions on the IC7/IS7 boards vary the CPU and
    NB or just CPU? my understanding was that it is only the CPU but curious on
    your thoughts.

    I know Speedfan can affect NB as well as CPU fans...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Cobblers!

    Cobblers! Guest

    And takes up system resources. That's not somethjing I want running in
    the background when running games. Yes, I have tried those before.
    Most people opt for the hardware solution these days, either fanmates
    that cut the voltage to 5v from 12v or an adjustable fanbus which is
    the solution I may opt for. My mb is an IC7, not a G model and it has
    that blue coloured fan on the

    Cobblers!, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Cobblers!

    John Lewis Guest

    www.excaliberpc.com

    $5 plus shipping for the updated-design of Abit IC7/IS7 NB
    heatsink/fan -- big heat-sink/teeny-tiny fan.

    BTW, no need to energize the updated NB fan at all if you
    have one of the Zalman 7000/7000A CPU flower coolers, as it
    overshadows the NB ( and also overshadows the CPU
    capacitors/switch-regulators - no need for the Max3 OTES...,
    especially if a slow low-noise temp-controlled extractor fan is
    also case-mounted either behind the CPU or in the removable
    case-cover ).

    ( The Zalman 7000 MAY not fit an IS7 fitted with the revised-design
    NB heatsink -- the CPU-NB-AGP spacing is much tighter on the
    IS7 than on the IC7. Comments from IS 7 owners...... ? )

    John Lewis

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Cobblers!

    Cobblers! Guest

    p.s. I looked in the bios and it said the fan was running at 6000+rpm.
    When I used the rpm limiter option it has now dropped down to 4400rpm.
    That's still high considering my case fans are running at 2000rpm and
    my cpu fan says 1800rpm.

    Cobblers!, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Cobblers!

    Cobblers! Guest

    Thx for the info. I'll look locally for one as I'm in Canada and it's
    not worth the hassle or cost to get stuff from the U.S. anymore.

    Cobblers!, Nov 17, 2003