    I bought the Thinkpad because of it's superior keyboard, which no other
    laptop manufacturer has matched.

    Truth_Seeker1

    Truth_Seeker1, Jul 11, 2005

  2. I bought a ThinkPad because it is the best laptop out there. I really
    don't care who makes it, and I don't intend to pay a higher price so
    somebody in China can get more vacation time. That's his problem

    Bruce Markowitz, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Truth_Seeker1

    M.H. Guest

    Yeah, because it's really appreciated when rich people in first-class
    countries try to take away people's jobs in developing countries because
    those jobs available don't live up to *your* standards. Take your
    job-killing, poverty-inducing arrogance somewhere else.

    M.H., Jul 23, 2005
  4. Truth_Seeker1

    Gary L. Guest

    I like to buy stuff made in a place where a decent wage is paid, but
    this is impossible to do with most technology products. What notebook
    computer is built in a place *other* than a "developing" country?
    Virtually all systems are built in places like China. When IBM owned
    the factory where ThinkPads were assembled, it was located in Mexico
    (at least for most of the U.S. marketed products). The only systems I
    have seen in recent times that were assembled in a "first-class"
    country are the Fujitsu notebooks (which are assembled in Japan). I
    have no idea whether you consider Japan to be a politically acceptable
    source of consumer goods.

    I actually purchased a Fujitsu notebook two months ago and I ended up
    returning it because I didn't like it. For example, the keyboard was
    much inferior to the keyboards in my ThinkPads. I bought a new
    ThinkPad T42 instead. IMHO, the T42 is built with better quality parts
    than the Fujitsu alternative and is better suited to my needs.

    I'm not sure whether the O.P. was serious or just trolling. In any
    event, the current ThinkPads are built in the same places that they
    were built before the sale, with the same engineering staff and sales
    staff. If it was "sweat shop" labor before, then it still is. AFAIK,
    the change in ownership hasn't affected the lower level employees (at
    least for the present). And if the computers are assembled with "sweat
    shop" labor, then this would apply to Apple, Dell, Toshiba and most of
    the other brands. From what I've seen, environmental conditions at
    these factories is probably pretty good; more for the benefit of
    product quality control rather the employee's well-being. It is no
    doubt boring, repetitive work, but that's the case for most factory
    jobs since the beginning of the industrial revolution.

    Gary L., Jul 23, 2005