Does Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer coexist with Synaptics Touchpad?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by bbao, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. bbao

    bbao Guest

    hi folks,

    i have a MS wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0 and tried to install its
    driver on my XP Tablet 2005 in order to fully support its tilt wheel
    feature, but i got the following message and failed to continue:

    "Setup has detected conflicting device software already installed on
    this system that may impair the functionality of the device software
    you are installing. Click 'OK' to remove the existing device software
    and continue installation, or click 'Cancel' to exist Setup."

    i certainly chose the "cancel" to prevent removing my synaptics
    touchpad software because i need it when i use my laptop without
    external mouse (wired or wireless). i need these drivers coexisting
    with each other. did anyone of you try this before? successfully done
    without problems?

    here is more inforamtion about these two software in detail:

    1) Microsoft IntelliPoint v5.0 software (May 2003)
    point32.dll: 5.0.176.0
    point32.exe: 5.0.174.0
    point32.sys: 5.0.174.0

    2) Synaptics TouchPad v7.2.0.0

    FYI:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Q_20963431.html

    thanks in advance.

    regards,
    bbao

    bbao, Feb 24, 2005

  2. bbao

    Chris H. Guest

    Haven't seen any conflicts here, and I've used that wireless mouse with
    several Tablet PCs. I honestly don't remember on my convertible Tablets if
    I've had the touchpad disabled at the time, but you might try going into
    Control Panel/Mouse and check for a special tab for the touchpad where you
    can run it or turn it off. Then try installing the wireless mouse.

    Chris H., Feb 24, 2005

  3. bbao

    bbao Guest

    just installed IntelliPoint 5.2 on the ACER tablet PC using Wireless
    IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0, it did not prompt that to-uninstall message
    again but just disabled the installed Synaptics TouchPad v5.8 component
    in control panel at all! what a rough action. anyway, after installed
    the touchpad software from ACER recovery CD again, both of them work
    fine now. thanks to Synaptics, she never disable others for enabling
    herself. ;)

    cheers,
    bbao

    bbao, Feb 25, 2005
  4. bbao

    bbao Guest

    bbao, Feb 25, 2005
  5. bbao

    Paul Adare Guest

    You really should stop trying to send folks out of this news group to a
    site that requires registration. These news groups exist for a purpose.
    If you've got something to share, then this is the appropriate place to
    share it.

    --
    Paul Adare
    "On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament],

    Paul Adare, Feb 25, 2005
  6. bbao

    bbao Guest

    hi Paul, thanks for your comment. this is because the original question
    and related discussions are there, i just did hope the guys here could
    learn more relevant information before giving their opinions to me. btw,
    i also have listed the URL of this thread at that site, because the
    final answer is from this newsgroup. so, it is not an advertisement, it
    is just for sharing with more people. regards, bbao

    bbao, Feb 25, 2005
  7. bbao

    Paul Adare Guest

    I didn't say it was an advertisement. You're trying to split this
    discussion into two different places. Most of us have neither the time
    nor the inclination to follow the same discussion in more than one
    location. If you want to do so, fine, just don't expect others to follow
    suit.

    Paul Adare, Feb 25, 2005
  8. bbao

    bbao Guest

    hehe, ok, i will notice this issue later, thanks for your comment. ;)

    bbao, Feb 25, 2005
  9. bbao

    Chris H. Guest

    I do not go to that site because it requires registration. I'm not
    interesting in "joining" any site just to read something. I prefer a free
    exchange of information without strings attached, thank you.

    Chris H., Feb 25, 2005
  10. bbao

    bbao Guest

    it is so strange that some guys of here (you are not the 1st) think that
    site needs registration for just seeing something, it is actually NOT
    true, else i wont paste its URL at here, for easily sharing what we
    discussed. regards, bbao.

    bbao, Feb 25, 2005
  11. bbao

    Chris H. Guest

    I hate to say this, but unless you're a "member" of that site, clicking on
    the URL you furnished only offers the question, with "Sign Up to See This
    Solution" in bold, large letters beneath it. That's the way ALL the
    "solutions" are listed. If they cannot be free with the information, then
    perhaps it isn't that important and it isn't worth my going there.

    Chris H., Feb 25, 2005
  12. bbao

    bbao Guest

    just tried to access http://www.experts-exchange.com/Q_20963431.html in
    IE without logging in, yeah, as you described, "Sign Up to See This
    Solution" appears in bold, hehe. but please be patient, just scroll the
    page down, after skipping the big area for advertisement and available
    topic areas, you may see the solution and all comments, one of them is
    for you. ;)

    in fact, i dont like its webpage design for anonymous guests, too. there
    are at least four advertising sectors throughout a page. as a member, i
    have been used to work in its expert mode which has well-designed layout
    without any advertisement, so i have almost forgotten how their pages
    look like in anonymous mode, only do remember that any visitor can
    google and see the solutions without registration.

    ok, it seems we have discussed a lot on a trivial thing, but it is still
    necessary to avoid misunderstanding.

    thanks,
    bbao

    bbao, Feb 25, 2005
  13. bbao

    Paul Adare Guest

    In your second post to this thread here in this news group you stated:

    "just installed IntelliPoint 5.2 on the ACER tablet PC..." yet on the

    website you keep pointing to you said:

    "sorry, forgot to mention it. my system is windows 2000 SP4 (US
    english)."

    Both those statements cannot possibly be true. Either you're using a
    tablet or you're using Windows 2000, you can't possibly be using both.
    If the former, then this is an appropriate place for your question, if
    the latter, this definitely is not the appropriate place. Which is it?

    Paul Adare, Feb 25, 2005
  14. bbao

    bbao Guest

    both of these statements are definitely true. each story has its
    different hardware and software combination, but the problem is same. so
    i gave the URLs just for reference. i believe i did post the question at
    the appropriate place.

    when i bought the MS wireless mouse, i was using W2K on Acer TM350
    notebook (please see the post date), then i got the problem on the
    combination of IntelliPoint 5.0 + TouchPad v5.0.94 + W2K/SP4, and then i
    gave up to install the MS driver because i did not want to make my
    notebook unstable. it is my main box till now.

    some days later, i upgraded the OS from W2K to W2K3, i found the two
    thumb buttons are workable under W2K3 but horizontal scrolling (tilt
    wheel) still did not work. again, i still had no MS driver installed at
    the time.

    this year, i got the Acer TMC112 which is my first tablet PC. before
    using it as my main machine, i started to install a lot of software to
    test and practice. yesterday, i tried to install the newly downloaded
    IntelliPoint 5.2 on the tablet and found that the two drivers coexist
    fine after re-installing TouchPad v7.2.0.0, the thumb buttons and tilt
    wheel are workable. so i posted that "just installed" message to this
    newsgroup and that forum site, and accepted two useful comments in the
    thread as the answer.

    have you got clear and satisfied answer from above reply? ;) it seems to
    me that it is tiring to ask question at here because i have to explain
    more stories, hehe. :))

    regards,
    bbao

    bbao, Feb 26, 2005
  15. bbao

    Chris H. Guest

    Found it a bit confusing myself, since this newsgroup is for Tablet PC
    support. Very good on the reinstall of the drivers for the Tablet hardware,
    though. :cool:

    Chris H., Feb 26, 2005