    different SATA's (e.g. one drive is a SATA1 and another is SATA2). Can
    GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.4) run SATA drives @ independent speeds or will
    SATA1 drag down SATA2' performances? TIA!

    Bob Smith, Jun 3, 2011

  2. Bob Smith

    Joe Guest

    No it does not. Only SATA 3GB/

    Joe, Jun 3, 2011

  3. Bob Smith

    Paul Guest

    SATA is designed to be backward compatible. New disks, can work with
    old hardware.

    A SATA III disk supports 1.5Gbit/sec, 3.0Gbit/sec, 6.0Gbit/sec.

    A SATA II motherboard, supports 1.5Gbit/sec and 3.0Gbit/sec.

    When those two are connected together, the negotiated speed is 3.0Gbit/sec.

    Naturally, there are exceptions (and bugs) out there, but few enough
    not to worry about.

    1) VIA chipsets may require the user to insert the "Force 150" jumper,
    to get the disk to work. The VT 8237S Southbridge, was the first
    VIA chip I've heard of, that had that bug fixed. One other VIA chip,
    used on add-in cards, has also been fixed.

    2) Some motherboards equipped with SIL3112 (1.5Gbit/sec only) SATA ports,
    would freeze if a 1TB or larger disk was connected. This was a BIOS
    code bug - in many cases the motherboard was too old, to get a BIOS
    update to fix it.

    Bugs are constantly being discovered, even on some brand new high end
    gear. While the intention is to support backward compatibility, there
    doesn't seem to be enough of a program in place to *test* that
    everyone plays by the rules. I'm still seeing reports of things,
    that I can't explain :-(

    *******

    SATA ports are independent of one another, so one can run 1.5Gbit/sec
    and another 6.0Gbit/sec, with no "drag down" effect.

    When you look in the BIOS screen, you may see references to "Master"
    and "Slave". Or to "Ultra100" or "Ultra133". These are naming artifacts
    for when the hardware emulates older disk technology. If in Windows,
    you see a claim the disk is in "Ultra100" mode, you can disprove that,
    by using the free version of HDTune, and finding the actual transfer
    bandwidth number is above 100MB/sec. That proves a reference to Ultra100
    is bogus. The "burst" transfer rate, gives you an idea how fast the
    cable can really run. The graphical curve, shows the limit imposed
    by the media (platters and heads).

    http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

    For example, my 3.0Gbit/sec (300MB/sec) disk and motherboard port,
    support burst transfers at higher than 133MB/sec (which is the limit
    of an IDE cable using the old "Ultra" transfer modes). In this
    example, I compare two benchmarking utilities, and they give different
    answers. But at least the answers are higher than 133MB/sec, which
    is what I wanted to see. The "burst" tells you something about
    the cable and port, while the "graph" tells you how much the
    platters support (not quite as much). Notice that in no case,
    will you be seeing exactly "300.0", as that can't happen (packet
    overhead).

    http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/842/500gb3500418ascomposite.gif

    If I were to grab a 6.0Gbit/sec disk and connect it to my motherboard,
    those results wouldn't change one bit...

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 3, 2011