    but my allergy usually causes itchiness only.

    If you happen to own Samsung 213T, do you have similar
    experience?

    Bruno, May 4, 2005

  2. Bruno

    NightSky 421 Guest

    Just relaying my own experience, even though it seems different than
    yours...

    I don't know if this will help you since I have not used that model, but
    when I first switched to LCD's not that long ago, there was a bit of a
    transition period that my eyes went through for the first few days of moving
    from a CRT to an LCD. At first, LCD's seemed way too bright for me and I
    found myself turning the brightness and contrast way down in hopes of
    matching the brightness of my CRT's. After trying that for a little bit, it
    seemed to me that my eyes were somewhat strained from trying to match the
    brightness and contrast. I then went in the other direction and made my
    LCD's brighter than I've ever used on a CRT. It did take a little getting
    used to at first, but after that, it's been very good. However, seeing that
    you have your Samsung set to 50% brightness, I would assume it's already way
    brighter than your old CRT. Maybe try lowering it. I guess everyone has
    different eyes. :)

    This might be a bit of a long shot, but I have to wonder if the response
    time of your LCD might be a bit of an issue. The LCD that I'm using on my
    Internet computer here is a 15" model with a 25ms response time and analog
    plug only. Even when scrolling text on the screen, I can see slight
    ghosting. It's not really an issue for me, but it could be for you. My
    other LCD on my main computer is a 16ms 17" model with a DVI connection and
    it's definitely an improvement. That's not to say that my 25ms LCD is bad
    by any means, but I know that large LCD's like what you have are almost
    impossible to get with response times of 25ms (at least to my current
    knowledge).

    I wear glasses and have a fairly strong prescription. Without my glasses, I
    suffer from pretty bad astigmatism, along with near-sightedness. Reading a
    monitor or newspaper from more than 10 or 12 inches away from my face is
    practically impossible for me without my glasses.

    NightSky 421, May 5, 2005

  3. Bruno

    Steve Guest

    It might be worth you trying Powerstrip... I found this a really great util
    when I first got a LCD display. Give it a go, it allows you to easily set
    up the monitor to how you want it.....

    Steve, May 5, 2005
  4. Yes. I feel 16ms is the magic number (equates to about 60 fps), and on my
    Dell 2001FP I see no ghosting whatsoever. I went from a strong glasses
    prescription to laser eye surgery about the same time I got this monitor,
    but it seems I am fine with it. I agree about the brightness, however.

    HockeyTownUSA, May 7, 2005
  5. Bruno

    Beemer Guest

[...]

    I had the same problem but then realised that the problem was that it was
    the contrast setting which required to be turned down.

    Its fine now

    Beemer

    Beemer, May 8, 2005
  6. Bruno

    Fleabus Guest

    Hi:

    ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP retail (Cat5.4)
    DV-I: Monitor #1 Samsung SyncMaster 213T Black 21.3" TFT
    1600x1200 32bit 60Hz (native) Normal size(96 DPI)
    VGA: Monitor #2 ViewSonic P225f 22" Aperture Grille CRT
    1600x1200 32bit 85Hz Normal size (96 DPI)

    I have the Samsung's brightness set at 30 while the ViewSonic's is set
    at 76.
    I wear glasses and read text on the Samsung for as much as 8-9 hours
    straight with no problems.
    The Samsung replaced a ViewSonic P817 21" shadow mask CRT. Even though
    this was a very high quality CRT, I couldn't read text on it for more
    than ~2 hours before I got the burning/dry eyes you mentioned.
    My monitor buys from now on will always be TFT until something better
    comes along.
    Bruno ... I don't know what to say. I'm really pleased with the
    Samsung.
    In Word2003 for example I read .doc files with the Microsoft Reference
    SansSerif font size 10 all day. My eyes aren't bothered.
    Change the settings to what I use, change video cards or remember to
    blink :)

    Happy trails,

    Fleabus, May 13, 2005