Does Speedfan work with the K8NS (non-Pro)?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Ed Masters, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Ed Masters

    Ed Masters Guest

    Hi,

    I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
    Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
    a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
    at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
    A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).

    Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
    control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
    Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
    hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
    stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
    provide any hint the board supports this.

    My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
    Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?

    Thanks,

    Ed

    Ed Masters, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Ed Masters

    Jim Smith Guest

    Yes Speedfan works with the Gigabyte GA-K8NS. It controls the CPU fan and
    does quieten things down if you take it down to about 20%. However Speedfan
    has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to 100% and
    noisy. I suggestion as ability to set the start up percentage but the author
    of Speedfan is not too responsive to suggestions.

    In the end I bought a simple hardware controller and turned the damn thing
    down permanently. Much better.

    Jim Smith, Oct 25, 2004

  3. However Speedfan
    I just installed SpeedFan 4.17 and it DOES save the settings.

    I can adjust the CPU fan speed from 0RPM up to 100% and after close
    SpeedFan and restart, all values are back (Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro).

    SpeedFan can adjust the fan speed automatically.

    Moritz

    Moritz Kürten, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Ed Masters

    Jim Smith Guest

    Good to know, maybe the new version will do the job.

    Jim Smith, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Ed Masters

    SteveK Guest

    here is the general answer - nforce3 chipset seems supported

    http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php

    SteveK, Oct 26, 2004