    using with my old KT266 board just to be safe, though if I can switch over
    to the motherboards controller and pick up some speed I'd rather do that.

    Cory

    Cory Dunkle, Feb 28, 2004

  2. Cory Dunkle

    KB Guest

    No reason why not.
    Don't forget 160Gb is the unformatted size and so you will get around 140Gb
    after

    KB, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Cory Dunkle

    BigBadger Guest

    It will support any drive currently made.

    BigBadger, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Cory Dunkle

    Clark Guest

    I haven't checked lately, but have all the partition size limitations for
    FAT32 or NTFS gone away?

    Clark

    Clark, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Cory Dunkle

    BigBadger Guest

    Certainly in the case of NTFS, there is no current limit. If running Win XP
    you need SP1 installed though.

    BigBadger, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Cory Dunkle

    Cory Dunkle Guest

    It comes out to 149 GB formatted with NTFS. 11 GB just for file system
    overhead... Sheesh. My first computer had two hard drives, a 10 MB and a 20
    MB... I booted off the 20 MB one and doublespaced the 10 MB one. LOL

    Cory

    Cory Dunkle, Feb 28, 2004
  7. Cory Dunkle

    DanO Guest

    Cory,
    The missing 11GB is not from filesystem overhead, it is from misleading
    harddrive manufacturing advertising.

    Computers compute a gigabyte as 1024 MB's, where a MB is 1024 KB, where
    a KB is 1024 Bytes, or 1024*1024*1024 = 1,073,741,824 Bytes.

    Hard Drive Manufacturers compute a GB as 1,000,000,000 Bytes.

    Thus a 160,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 = 149 GB's.

    DanO, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Cory Dunkle

    Cory Dunkle Guest

    Damn, that's sleazy. I always wondered why there were 1024 KB in a MB, but
    only 1000 MB in a GB. I guess that explains it.

    Cory

    Cory Dunkle, Feb 29, 2004
  9. Cory Dunkle

    Arnie Berger Guest

    I have an A7N8X-DLX rev 1.04 and I have a 200 GB Maxtor drive. No
    problems. I partitioned it as 2- 100 GB drives for personal
    convenience.

    arnie

    Arnie Berger, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Cory Dunkle

    Clark Guest

    I hate to beat this up, especially since it isn't my thread, but if you need
    SP1 installed to run a drive as large as 160 gigs (fat32), if you do an
    initial install of Win XP, which in my case doesn't have SP1, can you
    install it to a large drive or will you get errors?

    Clark

    Clark, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Cory Dunkle

    JBM Guest

    The hard drive will be formatted to the largest
    size that XP supports. You could slipstream
    SP1 into XP. here's one link I found on google
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm
    by searching on slipstream SP1.

    JBM, Mar 4, 2004