Does the a7n8x-x support extra low memory timing ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Dreamaker, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Dreamaker

    Dreamaker Guest

    I've seen these new memory chip that support very low latency of ddr
    like the cas latency of 2.

    But i've read that amd support 2.5 and intel 3
    and that amd is better with low latancy vs intel that need higher latency for higher clocking.

    What i want to do is getting my self a ddr memory stick that will get
    2, 2, 2, 5, in t1

    I know that corsair have these baby for 1 or 200$ can.
    So it would be nice to know if my a7n8x-x will support that memory.

    + if this mem can support dual channel when used in a pair. (for later upgrade).

    Thank you.

    Dreamaker, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Dreamaker

    Paul Guest

    http://corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/guides/buyers_guide.pdf

    The A7N8X-X is not dual channel. It is the single channel version
    of the Nforce2 chipset. (Don't ask me how that works, as the
    layout of the board still looks like a dual channel layout. I
    expect the chipset is hobbled with a config pin somewhere, to
    run in single channel mode. This doesn't have any real impact,
    as AthlonXP data input requirements are fully met by a single
    channel system running at the same clock speed as the processor.)

    Processor clk=200MHz transfers data 2X per clock=FSB400, 64bits wide
    Memory clk=200MHz transfers data 2X per clock=DDR400, 64bits wide

    Dual channel really helps the A7N8X-VM, as the built-in graphics
    can get bandwidth simultaneous with the processor. On the A7N8X-E
    Deluxe, the dual channel bandwidth is handy for the comparitively
    tiny PCI bandwidth, and the occasional AGP burst (large memory on
    video cards reduces the need for AGP transfer).

    So, it looks like you can use it. Corsairmicro docs are sadly in
    need of updating (I guess they are too busy making money and
    spinning marketing blurbs, to provide substantive info). The
    PDF link at the top of the page is the only mention of 3200XL
    I could find in a recommendation.

    You mention CAS Latency, and what the different brands of processor
    support. CAS Latency is a function of the memory design, and
    strictly speaking CL should not be influenced by the processor.
    The Northbridge on Intel boards and AMD AthlonXP drives the memory.
    The AMD Athlon64 has the memory controller in the processor, and
    there, the choice of memory is influenced by the processor. The
    Athlon64 isn't that demanding of memory performance, due to the
    fact that it has a latency advantage over its rivals, and an
    extra cycle of delay on CAS Latency doesn't really hurt it. I'm
    not sure you can run a really tight CAS on the Athlon64 - this
    could be due to bugs in the BIOS not really reporting what the
    memory is doing, or some kind of timing problem that gets
    fixed when a higher CAS is used. Since end users hardly ever
    figure out why designs are broken, it is hard to say what the
    root cause of these kinds of problems might be. And the companies
    that make the designs are none too honest about their problems.

    There is a forum here, if you want to ask the "RAM Guy" the same
    questions:
    http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=128

    HTH,
    Paul