    Makes me wonder if the premium motherboard has the same problem ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Paul Guest

    This is a picture of the currently shipping Premium. The right
    hand side of the board in this picture, when mounted in the computer
    case, should be above the left hand side of the board. That is also
    the natural orientation in an upright ATX tower case (no accident there).

    http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/13-131-540-02.JPG

    The Premium uses a heatpipe, to move the heat from the
    chipset to the MOSFET heatsink. Your CPU fan should blow some
    air over the MOSFET heatsink, to aid the cooling process. The
    result is, the chipset no longer needs a fan, but there must be
    some airflow over the MOSFET heatsink.

    The heatpipe concept is explained in the top diagram of this
    page:

    http://www.heatpipe.com/heatpipes.htm

    Heat pipes that have good capilliary action inside the pipe
    can work in any orientation in 3-space. If you don't know
    anything about a heatpipe you are using, it is best if the
    cool end of the pipe is higher than the hot end, so the condensed
    fluid can flow back down. If Asus had used the right material
    inside the pipe, the motherboard should have worked in any
    orientation. If not, then suspending the board in a normal
    upright ATX tower style case should work just fine.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Natéag Guest

    As far as I know, there is no chipset fan on the Premium board.

    Natéag, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Skybuck Flying

    KC Computers Guest

    Continuing to sell a confirmed defective motherboard (A8N-SLI Deluxe) is
    The ASUS A8N-SLI Premium uses a heat pipe instead of a fan.
    "It's no longer either quiet operation or low system temperature. The
    A8N-SLI Premium, with AI Cool Pipe, lets you have the best of both worlds.
    This unique heat pipe design provides heat dissipation performance
    comparable to that of cooling fans without the annoying rotation noise."

    KC Computers, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Nocturnal Guest

    It should have a passive heatsink on the northbridge.

    Nocturnal, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Skybuck Flying

    milleron Guest

    Well, the northbridge on these socket-939 boards is in the AMD CPU.
    The only chipset, technically a southbridge, does have fanless cooling
    already. (Maybe that's what you were saying in the first place.)

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Skybuck Flying

    Nocturnal Guest

    Really? Can you point me to some sources that say the nb is ontop or
    imbedded within the chip? I know the memory controller is in the chip but I
    had no idea the northbridge was in the chip.

    Nocturnal, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Skybuck Flying

    milleron Guest

    You're definitely right in that the only function of the traditional
    northbridge that's in the Athlon 64s is the memory controller. The
    GPU link and PCI link are still within the nForce chipset. I guess
    it's more proper to call it a combined northbridge-southbridge. Sorry
    if what I said was misleading. It's just that some people refer to
    the nForce4 chipset as the "northbridge" and it seems that it should
    be distinguished from a northbridge.

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 10, 2005