Does the AGP version of Nvidia 6200 have h.264 decoder?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by PC Guy, Apr 29, 2012.

  1. PC Guy

    PC Guy Guest

    I swapped an MX440 (64 mb) video card for an Evga GeForce 6200 (256 mb)
    video card because VLC can't really play large h.264 video files
    smoothly on my system.

    I updated VLC to the latest version (2.0.1 I think).

    This chart:

    http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/PureVideo_Product_Comparison.pdf

    indicates that the AGP version of GeForce 6200 has H.264 decode
    acceleration for both Hi-def and standard-def content (but it doesn't
    have H.264 decode with IDCT and CAVLC/CABAC - what ever the hell those
    are). It also has MPEG-2 decode acceleration, but not Mpeg-2 inverse
    telecine (what-ever that is).

    VLC has a check-box to enable "Accelerated video output (overlay)" - and
    I have that checked.

    VLC also has (in the Input & Codecs settings section) a check-box for
    "Use GPU accelerated decoding" - but that option is greyed out. Any
    idea why?

    I was trying to play a video file with these specifications:

    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 3550 Kbps
    Width : 1280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Writing library : x264 core 120 r2164 da19765

    VLC did a poor job playing that file. I was getting about one or two
    second's worth of frames that played ok before it stuttered and
    pixelized for a second or two before playing again. The audio was AC3
    stereo, and it played just fine.

    However, when I play the same file using MediaPlayer Classic, the file
    plays really well.

    Ideas? Comments?

    PC Guy, Apr 29, 2012

  2. PC Guy

    Paul Guest

    Wouldn't this be a question for the VLC forum ?

    "Use GPU accelerated decoding" can be interpreted to mean "use programmable
    shaders", just as easily as "use UVD or Purevideo dedicated decoder block".
    Maybe a 6200 doesn't have flexible enough shaders for that kind of thing.
    I don't have any cards here, with shaders that any software wants :-(
    A card has to be pretty modern, to be appreciated.

    If the VLC folks offer a source tarball, it wouldn't take too long
    looking through the source, to see what they were referring to. You'd
    look at the #include files, to see what it's pulling in.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 29, 2012

  3. PC Guy

    PC Guy Guest

    I have started a thread there.

    I've messed with a bunch of VLC settings and have gotten the file in
    question to playback almost perfectly.

    What is apparent is that MANY people are seeing playback problems
    (stuttering video) with this new 2.0 version of VLC (and naturally they
    have more moderm CPU's and video cards, and are also running win-7).
    Some or many people are un-installing VLC version 2 and going back to
    version 1.

    PC Guy, Apr 29, 2012
  4. PC Guy

    Paul Guest

    I found an article here, on VLC. DXVA is mentioned in the article,
    which I believe means "Use GPU accelerated decoding" is using the
    video decoder block. The author of the article, uses a tool called
    DXVA_checker, but I didn't see a link to the tool while flipping
    through the article.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3786/hd-video-decoding-on-gpus-with-vlc-110/4

    Paul

    Paul, May 1, 2012