    Does the ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard incorporate the new external eSATA
    ports, and if so, could anyone relate their experience with them? Thanks.
    Anna

    Anna, Aug 25, 2005

  2. I have purchased the P5WD2 Premium mobo and it does have one external
    SATA port, although I have never used it.

    BTW, this is a most awesome board. The PC6400 ram is a bit pricey,
    and currently only 512MB chips are available, but other than that....
    this will probably be the last motherboard I will ever have to buy
    (I'm 62 years old). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    Richard E. Braunstein, Aug 25, 2005

  3. Anna

    Anna Guest

    Thanks, Richard. But what I want to know is whether its the new eSATA
    external port, or is it the "old, original" SATA connector. Thanks again.
    Anna

    Anna, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Anna

    Paul Guest

    PDF page 25 has a picture of an external SATA connector
    http://www.serialata.org/docs/SATA II CabCon Vol 2_Gold.pdf

    This review...

    http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=202&pid=3

    has a picture of the I/O area of the P5WD2 Premium...

    http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/202/ASUS_P5WD2_Premium_RearIO.jpg

    I cannot tell if they are an exact match, but it looks pretty close.

    Here are a couple of pictures of some cable ends. The first one,
    the Esata, looks like it would mate with the Asus connector.

    http://www.usb-ware.com/images/esata-large.gif
    http://www.usb-ware.com/images/sata-i-large.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2005
  5. Anna

    Anna Guest

    Paul:
    Many thanks for the info & the links. I'm still not certain (from the pics)
    whether the P5WD2 Premium is equipped with the eSATA external connector;
    however, a friend of mine just ordered that MB so I should find out
    definitively shortly. When I do, I'll post the info to this newsgroup.
    Thanks again.
    Anna

    Anna, Aug 25, 2005
  6. Anna

    CraigNJ Guest

    I'm not sure it matters. I think the eSATA port is on the back, which
    means it isn't all that convenient for transient use for things like
    backing up the PC. You may want to put your own eSATA port on the
    front of an unused drive bay, and plug one of the 3.0 Gbps SATA II
    cables into it.

    Craig

    CraigNJ, Aug 26, 2005