does the k8ns pro support dual channel for memory?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by newsbirdie2, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. newsbirdie2

    newsbirdie2 Guest

    I just read the specs and I don't see any mention of this, but I do see
    this, which is vague:

    "Integrated DDR memory controller
    The AMD AthlonTM 64 processor improves the memory performance by
    integrating a DDR memory controller into the processor. By running at
    the processor's core frequency, an integrated memory controller greatly
    increases bandwidth directly available to the processor at
    significantly reduced latencies."

    My previous motherboard is quite a bit older and had dual channel, so
    I'm wondering if the Gigabyte has something better. I currently have
    two 512 sticks of Kingston PC3200 "value ram" and I need to buy 1 gig
    more. I'm having trouble finding Kingston (I live in Paris) so I'm
    probably going to go with Corsair. I just want to make sure it'll be
    ok.

    -Michael

    newsbirdie2, Feb 24, 2006

  2. The key point, is that the motherboard itself does not have anything!. On
    the Athlon64 chips, the memory controller is part of the processor itself,
    and not the motherboard. This is why (for instance), if you fit the early
    Opteron chips to boards that support both versions of the processor, you
    have to fit ECC memory, since the on-chip controller on these requires
    such memory. Now the internal memory controller, is faster than the
    motherboard versions. Just how good it is, varies according to the chip
    version you select. Older versions, had to slow down a little, when the
    bus loads increased (four DIMMs fitted), but newer versions have improved
    noticeably here.
    Yes, the internal controller, is better than older memory controllers, but
    the gain is small.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Feb 24, 2006

  3. newsbirdie2

    Ed Light Guest

    If it's socket 939 you should see 4 memory slots and it will be dual
    channel; if it's socket 754 it won't be.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\