Does Tom's hardware apply the heatsink paste material correctly ???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    Take a look at this video and tell me what you think:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/stresstest-02.html

    Is the heatsink/cpu paste/material applied correctly ?

    Occording to the gigabyte motherboard manual I would say no.

    This guy simply puts a drop on the cpu/heatsink ? (Maybe that s why it
    burned through)

    Why doesn't he smear it out like one is supposed to do ? ;)

    Risky bussiness ;)

    I would smear it out just in case ;) :)

    Right now I am reading a gigabyte motherboard manual, and I must say that
    this manual is much more professional and more details than the asus's
    motherboard manual ! :p (though the gigabyte is an intel cpu/motherboard
    manual and the asus was an amd cpu/motherboard manual but still.)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Skybuck Flying

    PB Guest

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

    PB, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Ed Light Guest

    Possibly it was Arctic Ceramique. If so, you're supposed to put a dot in the
    middle and then after fastening on the heat sink, you're supposed to rotate
    the sink 2 degrees either direction.

    Or on long cpus like bartons you're supposed to make a thin stripe down the
    middle.

    Not sure about A64's. I think you still put a dot, as it spreads out enough
    to cover the cpu underneath the cover. You can look on the Arctic Silver
    site for the instructions.

    I've used Ceramique on Bartons twice with a thin stripe and it worked like a
    charm.

    For the Silver and Alumina, I think pre-spreading it is still the norm.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Skybuck Flying

    milleron Guest

    I used Ceramique recently. I didn't know about the "dot" technique,
    so I applied a very thin film on both the heatsink and CPU as per some
    instructions I had, probably from Thermalright (can't recall for
    sure). I used a Thermalright XP120 on an Athlon 64 3500+, and so far,
    I've never seen a temperature above 41°. Most of the time it's around
    33-37° with room temps of 25-28°

    I'm not positive I did it strictly according to Ceramique
    specifications, but it seems to work just fine doing it the old
    tried-and-true way. The "dot" truly puzzles me because I can very
    easily see that leaving air space between the heatsink and CPU,
    especially at the corners. In fact, unless you applied so much
    Ceramique that a lot of it squished out at the sides, I cannot see how
    this air-gap problem could be avoided. Does Ceramique liquify so much
    that it can literally spread out all the way when heated up??

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Jason Guest

    I used the Ceramique on my 64, first with the drop technique(bad idea, it
    doesn't spread very far, cpu temps with no load of over 55), and after
    careful cleaning and reapplying it runs at under 40 at full load.

    Jason, Jul 22, 2005
  6. Skybuck Flying

    milleron Guest

    Hey, thanks for the reply. What technique did you use the second
    time? Spread all over the CPU in a thin film?

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 22, 2005
  7. Skybuck Flying

    Leythos Guest

    While I've not been part of this thread, I use the following method most
    times:

    1) Using 98% Alcohol, I clean both surfaces
    2) Using a razor blade (or other firm/straight edge) I put a dab on the
    CPU and the HeatSink, then use the blade to remove all but a micro layer
    from both - to much is bad, enough to ensure the irregularities are
    filled is perfect.
    3) mate both parts, secure with clamp/etc.

    I've never had a problem with this method and testing indicates it
    provides the optimal thermal contact between the two devices.

    Leythos, Jul 22, 2005
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Ken Guest

    Good idea. As thin as possible.

    Ken, Jul 22, 2005
  9. Skybuck Flying

    milleron Guest

    Well, that's exactly what I did, too. That's the method we always
    used with Arctic Silver prior to the introduction of Ceramique. I was
    informed in this thread, however, that Arctic Silver's official
    recommendation for applying Ceramique has changed dramatically.

    My CPU (Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm) temps are 32-37°C. I'm glad I didn't
    see the Ceramique instructions before I did it "wrong."

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 23, 2005
  10. Skybuck Flying

    Leythos Guest

    Since I've not used the Ceramique - what are the differences?

    Leythos, Jul 23, 2005
  11. Skybuck Flying

    milleron Guest

    For Ceramique, Arctic Silver recommends putting a small dab right in
    the center of P4 and Athlon-64 CPUs withOUT spreading it out.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm
    They go so far as to specify an amount equal to 1/2 a BB for a P4 and
    2/3 of a BB for an A64. I'm not making this up -- as if anyone could
    really dispense that stuff from a syringe to a tolerance of 1/6 of a
    BB :))
    Anyway, I did NOT follow these strange instructions, mainly because I
    was unaware of the change in them vs traditional Arctic Silver.
    However, I don't believe I could have brought myself to do it that way
    even if I had known.

    Ron

    milleron, Jul 24, 2005
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Leythos Guest

    Interesting - the Intel Boxed P4 units (Xeon) come with a syringe of
    Silvered colored paste, the instructions for applying it are not 100%
    clear, but I used it the same way I do all other pastes and found it
    worked fine with the standard method.

    I expect that the Ceramique, unless it dries out before you finish,
    would be fine the same way.

    Leythos, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Skybuck Flying

    Jason Guest

    Pretty much the way I did it, but I used a homemade tool we have at work to
    apply a very thin layer evenly across the chip(electronics tech in the USN).
    You want just enough to fill in the irregularities in both, and to make sure
    no air gets trapped inside(air is a very poor conductor). The Ceramique is
    a bit different in that optimum thermal efficiency isn't reached until the
    compound has been heated and cooled a couple dozen times.

    Jason, Jul 26, 2005
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Leythos Guest

    Hey - 84-88, VF-31 aboard the USS Forrestal CV59!

    Leythos, Jul 27, 2005
  15. Skybuck Flying

    wooly.bully Guest

    And I, 65-68. ET aboard the USS Enterprise CVAN-65 (CVN-65).

    wooly.bully, Aug 1, 2005
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Nitehawk Guest

    And I , 59-63, aboard several vessels and at NAS, Brunswick,ME

    Real E-Mail address is midniter at optonline dot net

    Nitehawk, Aug 2, 2005