does UltraSPARC T1 (Niagara) support UltraSPARC1 and UltraSPARC3 extensions?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by irwin, Aug 27, 2007.

  1. irwin

    irwin Guest

    Does the UltraSPARC T1 (Niagara) support UltraSPARC1 and UltraSPARC3
    extensions?

    I ask because gcc 4.2.1 on this platform creates executables that
    require the UltrSPARC3 extensions
    (according to 'file') if I build with '-mcpu=niagara'.

    I see that Sun Studio 11 creates executables that do not require
    those extensions, when I build with the
    Sun-suggested options for fast executables on Niagara ("-fast -xO4 -
    xtarget=ultraT1" for 32-bit, or "-fast -xO4 -xtarget=generic64" for 64-
    bit).

    And I don't see anything in the Niagara documentation that says it
    supports either the UltraSPARC1 or UltraSPARC3 extensions. (They do
    say it supports the VIS instruction set.)

    Both of the lack of mention in the doc, and the behavior of Sun Studio
    11 lead me to believe that Niagara doesn't support those extensions.
    The fact that gcc 4.2.1 thinks Niagara does support them is what
    confuses me.

    irwin, Aug 27, 2007