    some great deals. I think they have had a better than average X-mas
    season and saw no reason to discount heavily. Perhaps there will be
    some good after x-mas sales.

    shareyourknowledge, Dec 20, 2006

  2. shareyourknowledge

    Quaoar Guest

    What you say?!? Notebook computers have been seriously discounted based
    on price/performance from even six months ago! Take a serious look at
    the Core Duo, etc, and tell me that you could have bought the same
    performance at the current prices as recently as six months ago! I
    would not look for fire sale prices after the holidays since profit
    margins are so thin today, IMO.

    Quaoar, Dec 20, 2006

  3. There may be some deals around January 30th with the release of Vista.
    But I wanted to buy before Vista came out to get XP and the Vista
    upgrade. And I did get a good deal, but it wasn't easy. Got a Toshiba
    A105-S4002 at Sam's Club for $637. Core Duo T2300, DVD burner, XP Pro
    (not home or even Media Center).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 20, 2006
  4. I wasn't looking for a laptop six months ago, so i don't know what the
    prices were back then to compare to today. I've only been looking for
    about the past month. I don't need one until February when the new
    semester starts. Happy holidays!

    shareyourknowledge, Dec 20, 2006
  5. In general, there were better deals from July to October than there have
    been in November and December. There have been no truly great deals for
    the holidays; there have been some "ok" deals, most common at retail
    were various models of the Toshiba M115 with Core Duo CPU at $599. A
    reasonable deal, but not spectacular. There have also been some "cheap"
    laptops ($399 and $499), but they were very low-end in terms of CPU and
    features.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 20, 2006
  6. shareyourknowledge

    waterboy Guest

    HP just raised the 15.4" Pavillion $50 in the last few days
    maybe they plan on lowering it for a xmas/new years sale

    i now really regret missing the black Fri thanksgiving Best Buy sale!
    [17" HP pavillion 2gb ram $899]

    will be ordering the HP 15.4" or 17" in a week or 2

    don't they have a 30 day price guarantee, if it falls?

    waterboy

    waterboy, Dec 20, 2006
  7. There are a few places that have an A105 4000-series model with a Core 2
    Duo and more than 1GB of memory for $850 to $899.

    OfficeMax: Toshiba A105-S4384 Satellite Notebook Intel Core 2 Duo T5500
    1.66Ghz 1GB/160GB, 15.4, DVD Burner $849.99 shipped free

    Circuit City has it also, but for more money and even that is after rebate.

    Price guarantees don't apply to Black Friday specials.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 20, 2006
  8. shareyourknowledge

    JHEM Guest

    Lenovo is currently selling specific models of laptops for the same price
    that employees pay. Plus they're offering free shipping and free cases with
    most purchases.

    JHEM, Dec 21, 2006