Doing an upgrade from P4T533-C to P4C800-E

Discussion in 'Asus' started by JugHead McGraw, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. and I have a few questions.

    My current setup (P4T533-C)
    Monitor - Dell 17" Trinitron

    Display Adapter - Radeon 7000 w/64MB DDR

    Speakers - Harman Kardon

    Case - Lian Li PC-60 Aluminum Mid Tower ATX

    CPU - Intel P4 2.26Ghz w/533Mhz FSB

    Mobo - Asus P4T533-C ATX w/Audio and Lan

    Chipset - i850E

    HDD #1 - 80GB Western Digital 7200RPM w/8MB cache

    HDD#2 - 80GB Maxtor 5200RPM

    FDD - Teach 1.44MB

    Memory - 512MB Kingston PC1066 ECC RDRAM

    CD/RW - Plextor 40/12/40A

    PSU - Enermax 431 Watt ATX 12V

    My planned upgrade:

    Monitor - Dell 17" Trinitron

    Display Adapter - Radeon 7000 w/64MB DDR

    Speakers - Harman Kardon

    Case - Lian Li PC-60 Aluminum Mid Tower ATX

    CPU - Intel Pentium 4 3.20E GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 1MB (BOX)

    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe 875P P4 ATX

    HDD #1 - 80GB Western Digital 7200RPM w/8MB cache

    HDD#2 - 80GB Maxtor 5200RPM

    FDD - Teach 1.44MB

    CD/RW - Plextor 40/12/40A

    PSU - Enermax 431 Watt ATX 12V

    Memory - Kingston 256MB DDR400 PC3200 CL2.5 DIMM (x4)

    I've already learned I'll probably have to flash the bios to the latest
    final release to support the new P4 CPU. My question is that I really don't
    have the time to do a clean install by reformatting my hard drive, reloading
    the OS, and software. What I think I'll do is uninstall all the Asus
    drivers that came with my original P4T533-C, and that should clear the
    compatability issues with the onboard devices, which will change. By the
    way, I'm running Windows XP Pro.

    Another possible issue...I have a 160GB HDD which I now have running on the
    P4T533-C with a PCI IDE controller to allow the increased drive size. Can I
    simply leave off that PCI card in the new PC. Will the native IDE interface
    on the new board support drives over 137GB?

    Thanks folks for any help or advice.

    JugHead McGraw, Jun 23, 2004

  2. JugHead McGraw

    Paul Guest

    One thing I read about, was switching to a standard Microsoft IDE
    driver while still running the old system. Go to Device Manager,
    and there might be an Intel driver there now. Do an update and
    find whatever options the OS has to offer. Take the Microsoft
    driver.

    I tried cloning my disk to a new disk, with Partition Magic.
    With my copy of Win2K, I got a blue screen and an "Inaccessible
    Boot Device" on my new P4C800-E Deluxe. I put the disk back on
    the old system, installed the Microsoft IDE driver, and then
    on the new system, it booted up fine.

    Now, normally, with WinXP, you would want the IDE stuff set
    to "Enhanced" mode and the operate mode set to [S-ATA]. But
    if you are attempting to just move the disk from old to new
    machine, I'd try the "Compatible" setting and select the
    operate mode that corresponds to using the two PATA connectors.
    This will leave the S-ATA interfaces on the ICH5 inaccessible,
    but I don't see SATA in your game plan. There is a better
    chance that the Compatible setting might work with the
    standard Microsoft driver. You could try the Enhanced mode
    and see if it works, but I have a feeling that it will give an
    Inaccessible Boot Device error until you try Compatible.

    In my case, I got my system booted, but I ended up with a less
    than optimal setup. My previous installed didn't have the ACPI
    HAL, and that is not something you can add later. (I understand
    you can go from ACPI to Standard HAL, but not vice versa.)

    It is unclear to me, whether a Repair Install will work if the
    drivers on the system volume don't correspond to the hardware
    you are running. Maybe you could try it, and tell me how it
    works out :) I may want to try that too.

    For your "large drive question", see this KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303013

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2004

  3. JugHead McGraw

    Ixnei Guest

    I'm curious, what do you plan on using your computer for, that requires
    this sort of "upgrade"? Is it just going to be sitting crunching seti/etc
    type applications? Or is it for gaming purposes?

    The P4T533-C with 1066 RDRAM is quite powerful, pretty much on par with
    the 800MHz PC3200 setups. From what I understand, you're planning to swap
    the CPU/mobo/memory, and that's pretty much it.

    I'd recommend a better video card - it is an obvious bottleneck on your
    current system. And, it seems to me you'd get the same performance if you
    were to simply forego the new mobo, and purchase a 3.06GHz P4 w/HT (and
    512MB RDRAM) instead. Certainly a lot less headache that way, and
    basically the same price (or cheaper)...

    --
    We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 14 years now, bombing their
    country on at least a weekly basis.

    Ixnei, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Well, I use it as a server. It'll run PHP, MYSql, webserver software, etc.
    It will also run a POP mail server, will be a VPN node, and more. I have a
    112MB database serving genealogy pages through MYSql. I routinely process
    server logs to the tune of 400MB. My website has about 20,000 files, and
    FrontPage is kind of slow when doing batch edits. I only get about 16,000
    hits a day right now so i really don't want to get a dedicated server. I
    also do word processing, graphics design (Photoshop, etc), and manage three
    other websites. I also use it with my TIVO for video editing (forgot to
    mention I added a DVD burner) Eventually I plan to use the SATA and Raid
    options.

    I also work with large genealogy files called GEDCOM's. And if they have
    over 50,000 individuals like mine, it's very memory intensive to process
    those files. It takes about 15 minutes right now to do relationship
    calculations.

    From the reviews I've read, there is a significant memory bandwidth increase
    with the PC3200 setup. Right now according to Sandra...
    SiSoftware Sandra

    Int Buffered iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
    Assignment : 3178MB/s
    Scaling : 3169MB/s
    Addition : 3341MB/s
    Triad : 3353MB/s
    Data Item Size : 16-bytes
    Buffering Used : Yes
    Offset Displacement Used : Yes
    Bandwidth Efficiency : 76% (estimated)

    Float Buffered iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
    Assignment : 3173MB/s
    Scaling : 3174MB/s
    Addition : 3349MB/s
    Triad : 3357MB/s
    Data Item Size : 16-bytes
    Buffering Used : Yes
    Offset Displacement Used : Yes
    Bandwidth Efficiency : 76% (estimated)

    PC3200 DDR puts this more in the range of 5GB+
    I agree, the video card is a definate slow, and I'll upgrade that at some
    point. But it's sufficient right now (since I'm not using 3D Studio
    Max....yet). As for the price, 512MB of the RDRAM costs about the same as
    1GB of the DDR400. The RAID, SATA capability of the new motherboard will be
    used soon, and that's a big plus. I'm one of those people who is bound to
    find a way to bog down a computer.

    JugHead McGraw, Jun 24, 2004
  5. You may experience far more problems with changing the motherboard and
    not reinstalling the OS than you expect. Or it may work. Let us know.

    By the way, there was no need to use a PCI controller on the P4T533
    (either -C or not). All of those motherboards natively supported large
    hard drives (over 137 gigs).

    Barry Watzman, Jun 24, 2004
  6. The ONLY reason for switching from a P4T533 (or a P4T533-C) is because
    you need MORE memory. In terms of performance, with a 3.02 GHz CPU,
    these older systems are still pretty much "top drawer", they are so
    close to current "top of the line" that an upgrade isn't worth it.
    While the FSB is lower (and the CPU speed slightly lower if you go with
    a top-speed P4), the memory bandwidth is substantially higher. The
    bottom line is that their overall performance is so close to that of an
    800 MHz 3GHz system that an upgrade won't do much. However, it's
    prohibitively expensive to put more than 512 megs of RAM into a system
    with a P4T533 motherboard.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 24, 2004
  7. You really won't gain anything performance-wise from the upgrade that
    you are planning, compared to a 3.02GHz CPU in the P4T533-C.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 24, 2004