Doom3 .. VERY LOW END Benchmarks GF4 PNY 4200 64mb 1.33Ghz CeleronTualatin .. Doom 3

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by )-()-(, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. )-()-(

    )-()-( Guest

    Game defaulted to 640x480 Low Quality with this CPU/GPU setup.
    AF and AA and HSYNC are OFF. Typical Low Quality settings.

    No changes from default to setup besides 'System' Resolution and
    'Quality' Setup

    From 'Eric's post' :

    1. open console (cntr/alt/tilde key) -- instead of control alt delete --
    hold
    down control -- alt -- and tilde (~) key.
    2. type timedemo demo1 (let it run -- takes about a minute -- then your
    fps
    will show up)

    FPS are from *SECOND* Run
    Lots of caching on *FIRST* Run

    SECOND RUN:

    640x480 Low Quality 25.0 FPS
    640x480 Medium Quality 24.2 FPS
    640x480 High Quality 20.1 FPS

    800x600 Low Quality 24.9 FPS
    800x600 Medium Quality 24.0 FPS
    800x600 High Quality 19.8 FPS

    1024x768 Low Quality 20.5 FPS
    1024x768 Medium Quality 15.1 FPS
    1024x768 High Quality 9.7 FPS

    PNY GF4 4200 300Mhz GPU / 600Mhz Memory
    Overclocked Tualatin Celeron 1.33Ghz 133Mhz FSB
    512Mb Crucial PC133 CAS2
    Audigy 1
    61.77 Drivers

    Not much visual difference between Low Quality and Medium Quality.
    VERY Noticeable difference going from Medium Quality to High Quality.

    I'll probably start playing at 800x600 High Quality. ~ 20FPS at 800x600
    High Quality.
    Hey, I played Quake 1 about this speed ;-)

    )-()-(

    )-()-(, Aug 5, 2004

  2. )-()-(

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    640x480 Low Quality 25.0 FPS
    What CPU are you using?

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 5, 2004

  3. )-()-(

    )-()-( Guest

    Overclocked Tualatin Celeron 1.33Ghz 133Mhz FSB
    Very Low End

    Actually had a couple numbers swapped:

    SECOND RUN:

    640x480 Low Quality 25.0 FPS
    640x480 Medium Quality 24.2 FPS
    640x480 High Quality 20.1 FPS

    800x600 Low Quality 24.9 FPS
    800x600 Medium Quality 24.0 FPS
    800x600 High Quality '15.1 FPS'

    1024x768 Low Quality 20.5 FPS
    1024x768 Medium Quality '19.8 FPS'
    1024x768 High Quality 9.7 FPS

    PNY GF4 4200 300Mhz GPU / 600Mhz Memory
    Overclocked Tualatin Celeron 1.33Ghz 133Mhz FSB
    512Mb Crucial PC133 CAS2
    Audigy 1
    61.77 Drivers

    Not much visual difference between Low Quality and Medium Quality.
    VERY Noticeable difference going from Medium Quality to High Quality.

    I'll probably start playing at 800x600 Medium Quality ~ 20FPS at 800x600

    )-()-(, Aug 5, 2004
  4. )-()-(

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Overclocked Tualatin Celeron 1.33Ghz 133Mhz FSB
    That's not bad at all for that CPU then.

    I was asking because I'm still using a 4200 with a Barton 2500+ Athlon.

    Does the demo give you the framerate that you would get playing the actual game
    on most levels?

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 5, 2004
  5. )-()-(

    )-()-( Guest

    Don't know yet. I still need to figure out how to display FPS during a game.

    )-()-(, Aug 5, 2004
  6. )-()-(

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 5, 2004
  7. )-()-(

    )-()-( Guest

    )-()-(, Aug 6, 2004
  8. )-()-(

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Let me know how the framerate is actually playing, and at what resolution and
    detail setting....Thanks

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 6, 2004
  9. )-()-(

    )-()-( Guest

    I tried the autoexec.cfg file for the 64mb cards

    http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm

    Framerates MUCH improved on the higher res:

    Default:

    6x4 Low 25.0
    6x4 Med 24.9
    6x4 High 20.5

    8x6 Low 24.2
    8x6 Med 24.0
    8x6 High 15.1

    10x7 Low 20.5
    10x7 Med 19.8
    10x7 High 9.7

    With the Autoexec.cfg:
    6x4 Low 25.2
    6x4 Med 25.2
    6x4 High 25.1

    8x6 Low 24.6
    8x6 Med 24.6
    8x6 High 24.5

    10x7 Low 21.4
    10x7 Med 21.4
    10x7 High 21.4

    Just walking around the First Level at various resolutions and Quality Levels,
    I find that the framerates vary all over the place.. from 9 FPS to over 50 FPS.
    The good news with the autoexec.cfg file is because I'm mostly all CPU limited,
    the 'framerate' feel is about the same for 640x480 Low Quality as
    1024x768 High Quality. It feels laggy but playable in any setting above 'with'
    the autoexec.cfg file. I think the Quality difference between 6x4 Low Quality
    and 10x7 High Quality is enough that I will try to play at 1024x768 High Quality,

    taking a ' 4 FPS ' hit is worth it from how it feels so far. I'm CPU limited
    anyway.
    But again, the FPS in play is all over the place. I think the average of 21 FPS
    and 25 FPS in this benchmark may be slightly higher than you would expect as
    an average at least in the First Level. The game doesn't recognize my keys like
    Page Down, Delete, etc... so I gotta get a new keyboard, but the I ran all these

    benchmarks with no crashes, or glitches. It feels solid.

    Overall, I pleased my LOWLY CPU and GF4 are doing this well.

    Thanks again for the link !

    Autoexec.cfg used

    seta image_downSizeLimit "256"
    seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
    seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
    seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
    seta image_downSizeBump "1"
    seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
    seta image_downSize "1"
    seta image_forceDownSize "1"
    seta r_useOptimizedShadows "1"
    seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
    seta g_decals "0"
    seta g_showBrass "0"
    seta g_muzzleFlash "0"
    seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"
    seta image_anisotropy "0"
    seta image_filter
    "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

    PNY GF4 4200 64mb 300Mhz GPU / 600Mhz Memory

    )-()-(, Aug 6, 2004
  10. )-()-(

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    I find that the framerates vary all over the place.. from 9 FPS to over 50
    Medal of Honor did that also.

    It looks like it is lowering graphic settings that were automatically selected
    for your system by the game.

    Do you notice a loss in visual quality after using the autoexec settings?

    Not sure what keyboard you have, but sometimes they load up an extra program
    for specilized features like volume control, website favorites, etc. . The
    program is really not needed for a basic keyboard to run and maybe its
    confusing the game. Either that or the keyboard is just no good.

    Your welcome....So is the game worth it?

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 6, 2004
  11. )-()-(

    )-()-( Guest

    I looked a few times for differences using the autoexec settings, and the only
    thing
    that might be very slightly lower quality is the faces. That's at 1024x768 High
    Quality.
    The framerate feel is slightly faster using the autoexec, but the quality
    difference
    is virtually the same so far. I realize some things like showBrass and muzzleFlash

    will be missing. Still a bit laggy, but I'm amazed it looks this good on my lowly
    setup.

    I still need to figure out the keyboard issue, cause I'm just so used
    to my way of keyboard mapping, so I haven't really played it much.
    I'd still pay the $50 so far..

    Another link for autoexec settings:

    http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/

    and my GF4 4200 autoexec.cfg file:

    seta image_downSizeLimit "256"
    seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
    seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
    seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
    seta image_downSizeBump "1"
    seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
    seta image_downSize "1"
    seta image_forceDownSize "1"
    seta r_useOptimizedShadows "1"
    seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
    seta g_decals "0"
    seta g_showBrass "0"
    seta g_muzzleFlash "0"
    seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"
    seta image_anisotropy "0"
    seta image_filter
    set r_displayRefresh "75"
    set r_brightness 1
    set r_gamma 1.3
    set com_allowConsole "1"
    "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

    Pressing just the ~ key now brings the console,
    refresh is now 75hz, screen a bit lighter.

    Also,
    +disconnect
    to the command line to skip the intro
    per the link above.

    Cheers..

    )-()-(, Aug 7, 2004
  12. )-()-(

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Thats good to know thanks for the information.

    I might wait a little bit so the price comes down. I don't have a problem
    paying the $50 for it now, but I figure the longer I wait the more tweaks
    people will figure out. So then when I do get it all the tweaks will be ready
    for me. I might also upgrade my 4200 before getting it if the prices drop a
    little bit more for video cards like the 5900XT or SE.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 7, 2004
  13. )-()-(

    Shawk Guest

    Some good tweaks coming out now - the only one I use is changing the
    anisotropy setting form '8' to '2' in Doomconfig.cfg. This allows me to
    have great framerates with 2xAA with a 9800Pro. However the point of the
    post is perhaps wait until you see more views on the gameplay itself? I'm
    personally finding it all a bit 'samey'. Open a door 'oh look ANOTHER
    corridor'. Been spoiled by Far Cry's open space/alternative ways of
    approaching missions I guess. Now I'm back to a very linear experience -
    not sure I like it. Shaun

    Shawk, Aug 8, 2004
  14. )-()-(

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Some good tweaks coming out now - the only one I use is changing the
    From what I have seen, I would buy it just for the graphics and so so gameplay.

    I doubt it's that bad. Id always puts a lot into thier games.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 8, 2004

    Shawk Guest

    Perhaps they put it into later levels then.

    Shawk, Aug 8, 2004

    JK Guest

    JK, Aug 8, 2004