    for Win2K & XP, but I didn't see anything for DOS or Win9x.

    thanks,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Jonathan

    Unbeliever Guest

    Hi Jonathan,
    First I'd ask what you expect such a utility to do. If it's just to
    accept the watchdog timer interrupt and kick the watchdog, then there's very
    little point in activating the watchdog, it isn't going to ensure that your
    code hasn't gone west, though it would ensure that you haven't clumsily left
    interrupts off or unluckily gone west through a disable interrupts
    instruction.

    If it's anything what you'd normally use a watchdog for (i.e. to
    ensure that your code hasn't got stuck in some loop, gone off the deep end
    of the stack, jumped through an uninitialised pointer, etc., etc.,) then the
    TSR won't help much. You're better off adding some judiciously purpose
    built watchdogging code to your app.

    Cheers,

    Unbeliever, Jul 15, 2004

  3. What do you want it to do? A watchdog is pointless unless it's
    being kicked by your application code. Kicking the watchdog
    based on an interrupt in a TSR is sort of useless if you're
    trying to detect whether your application is running or not.
    The interface for the watchdogs I've used for x86 machines
    consisted of two I/O ports. Under DOS they required exactly 1
    line of code to enable or disable and 1 line of code to kick.

    Why put it in a TSR?

    Grant Edwards, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    Point well taken about the purpose and use of the watchdog.

    I have Win98 running on this machine, and it's been hanging randomly, as
    older Winblows versions do. I was just looking for the lazy man's way to at
    least get the box to reboot. Yes, I know addressing why it hangs is more
    appropriate, and I intend to investigate that as well.

    Additional thoughts?

    thanks,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Jul 15, 2004