    owner who discovered a far better deal on a Dim8300 than on the 2400 (for
    about identical $$, by being persistent with the web site).

    TIA !!

    Thomas G. Marshall, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Look for a good deal on one of the Dells above the "value" models - i.e.,
    NOT the 1000, 11xx, or 51xx systems. The 1000 is a bottom-end machine with
    a low RAM ceiling, slow chipset, and other drawbacks (like a nickel battery
    in the base configuration). The 11xx and 51xx have had a lot of overheating
    problems. If you do chance one of these, DON'T take the standard warranty -
    upgrade to a minimum of a 3-year warranty - they have not proven
    particularly reliable, and despite the low up front costs, a new mainboard
    will run $700+, and a new screen, $500+, should one fail - paricularly with
    the 1000, which has only a 90-day standard warranty.

    Edward J. Neth, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Thomas G. Marshall

    jim Guest

    I don't agree. My daughter has an 1100 with NO overheating problem or
    any other problem at all. She leaves it on a lot too. Now I agree it
    gets a bit warm on the bottom when it's on your lap but no so bad you
    can't handle it. BTW, she's had it for about 1.5 years now. I
    wouldn't hesitate to get another one if my needs are not too
    demanding. As to the warrantee, I don't have any opinion on that.

    jim, Dec 7, 2004
  4. jim coughed up:

    Thanks, both of you! Jim, does your daughter have the 14 or 15 inch screen,
    and do you/she have any comment on it?

    Thomas G. Marshall, Dec 7, 2004
  5. jim,
    When I used my laptop a lot I sat it on one of those aluminum defrosting
    trays. Well built and inexpensive since we had a spare. I also notice where
    they have bases to set a laptop down on that have cooling fans built in. The
    one I saw was USB powered, not so sure I like that, I believe it was also a
    USB hub.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    jim Guest

    My daughter has the 14 inch screen. It seems okay to me but I think
    this is a personal opinion and I would NOT go by my opinion. If you
    can at least go to a store to compare a 14 to 15, you can make your
    own judgement. I did hear on tv once that they recommended the
    smaller one if you were using it on a plane because they said the
    larger one was hard to use in your seat but I have NO experience on
    this since I never took it on a plane.

    I guess the bottom line is, what or how you will use it, will probably
    determine which size to go for.

    jim, Dec 9, 2004