Downclocking/ calming down a Pundit-R

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Daniel Meszaros, Aug 24, 2009.

  1. Hi there,

    I have got some rather old Pundit-R along with an Intel Northwood
    Celeron CPU (2 Ghz). I was quite happy with it when it was in the
    storeroom but now as I moved it to my workroom its noise is starting to
    annoy me.

    I hope that I am right here as I expect overclockers to know best about
    CPU, FSB and processor fan modifications. :)

    Does anyone of you own a similar machine or do you know some reliable
    source of information on how to calm down this machine?

    The Pundit-R is mainly used as some storage and test web server and
    should be kept running all day long.

    I thought about downclocking and replacing the processor fan with some
    less noisy one or to take it away completely if possible. As far as I
    know there were no passively-cooled CPUs available for the 478 socket,
    right?

    Any suggestions?

    CU,
    Mészi.

    Daniel Meszaros, Aug 24, 2009

  2. Daniel Meszaros

    DMA Guest

    DMA had written this in response to
    http://www.talkcomputer.com/overclocking/Downclocking-calming-down-a-Pundit-R-6703-.htm
    :

    Daniel Meszaros wrote:

    You can't completely get away from having a fan of the processor, at least
    not to my knowledge. The last passively cooled processor I saw was Pentium
    II. But you can run the fans through a thermal controller panel, such as
    XION (an I'm sure there are quite a few more on the market). The one I
    have takes one 5.25 inch space and has three thermopairs that you
    tape-glue to your processor's radiator, HDD and video. Then you run fans
    for said devices through the corresponding port on the controller.

    In some cases I've found that the PSU fan was the worst offender and
    changing the PSU to a newer model helped because of larger and slower
    rotating fan as well as better efficiency and less heat to begin with.
    Couple times I was able to find a 'silent' (about half the noise level)
    fan of the same size as the original. eBay is brimming with those. Just be
    careful - a 'silent' fan is guaranteed to move only 1/2 to 1/3rd of the
    air the original did so you may overheat the part you are cooling.

    -------------------------------------

    __!__
    -----o-----
    " "

    Delivered via http://www.talkcomputer.com
    PC Building Communit
    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking - 6646 messages and counting

    DMA, Aug 30, 2009

  3. Daniel Meszaros

    Paul Guest

    You can get rid of the fan, but it costs a lot of money.

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/epcn-tnn500/epcn5.jpg

    The TNN 500AF uses heatpipes, to transfer heat from the processor and
    other things, into heatsinks on the side of the computer case.

    You can see in the picture here, the sides of the case are large
    aluminum heatsinks with fins for convection cooling.

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/epcn-tnn500/epcn1.jpg

    In that review article, they're cooling an "Intel 630 3GHz EMT64 2MB cache LGA775".
    The CPU temperature is 46C while running CPUBurn.

    The TDP on that processor is 84W.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL8Q7

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 30, 2009