Download.com being blocked

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Muse Gruppes, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    Muse Gruppes, Sep 26, 2006

  2. Muse Gruppes

    Jay B Guest

    sorry, remove the b to reach me.

    Jay B, Sep 26, 2006

  3. well something is messed up. when i tracert to download or cnet i get the
    same ip address which is some sort of redirector at cnet...
    it is as if your computer or your provider has some sort of dns problem.
    plug a friends laptop into your cable modem for a sanity check that it isn't
    the isp (which i hightly doubt). or try a system restore to a point in time
    when you know it to have worked...

    Christopher Muto, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Go to M$ website and download and burn a cd with network version of
    SP2 on it if your original XP cd dosn't have it on it. It is around 277M.
    Go to Dells website and download the latest BIOS update.
    Go to the manufacturers website that made the hard drive in the computer
    and download their diag/wipe program and install it on a bootable fl/cd.
    You can use any hd wiper as long as it has the ability to write directly to
    the tracks and sectors of the hd. This is not the same as a file deleter
    that
    is say DOD certified. This software works below the partition level.
    Boot to the BIOS updater and update it. Even if it has the latest do it
    over the current version.
    Boot to the fl/cd that has the code to wipe the hd and do it. This will
    rid the computer of any invasions that affected the computer at the bios
    and partition table level.
    At this point the computer should be clean and empty.
    Reinstall XP from scratch.
    Install SP2 if the original XP disk did not have it on it.
    Enable the M$ firewall.
    Connect to the Internet.
    Do the validation and all the updates.
    Now with IE try to access the download.com
    Tell us what happens.

    later,
    charles.....

    ***** charles, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Muse Gruppes

    Jay B Guest

    very good advice.
    i told him a variation of that last night.
    i worked with the OP last night for several hours after connecting to
    his computer remotely,
    and i discovered various areas of OS corruption and suspicion.
    basically it looked like his tcp protocol stacks were compromised,
    and his hosts file was still loading, even though i renamed it.
    i found the download.com in the registry to be excluded, but even after
    removing it, it still wouldnt work.
    the hosts file domains were not refreshing right, even after a reboot.
    issuing ipconfig/flushdns would not flush the dns cache!
    a lot of weird things that wouldnt work right and didn't make sense.
    he was using the CA virus/firewall products suite, and also windows
    defender wsa recently installed, and also had installed some crack
    software and other weird stuff.

    the OP tried and discovered that if he used the USB port from his cable
    modem, it worked! he was able to get to download.com.
    i tried to reset the protocol stack, using winsockxpfix but the same
    problem.

    the OP also complained that he thought his neighbors were snooping in on
    his connection, able to see what he was seeing on his screen. so his
    system could have been completely compromised with a nice rootkit of
    some sort. no we didnt run rootkitrevealer, would have taken too much time.
    i left him last night while he booted from his cd , talked him thru
    deleting partitions, and doing a full format of his HD.
    i'm sure he'll report back when he gets results.
    hopefully it should work better.
    Jay

    Jay B, Sep 26, 2006
  6. If he has a corrupted compromised system, my recommendation is the
    ONLY thing that will work. In the last 5 years, I have seen 3 computers
    that were compromised this far.

    later.....

    ***** charles, Sep 26, 2006
  7. Muse Gruppes

    Clint Guest

    Part of the problem might be the fact that he was running without hardware
    protection. Last time I had to set up my parent's computer, they didn't
    have a hardware router between them and the Internet. By the time I could
    get the latest service packs and AV/firewall software installed and
    configured, the system had already been compromised. Talk about
    frustrating!

    Their next Christmas present from me included a router... :)

    Clint

    Clint, Sep 26, 2006
  8. Muse Gruppes

    Sybil Guest

    as Jay mentioned... after all was exhausted... I had a hunch that
    instead of connected to the net via ethernet port. I switched back to
    using the USB connection, and voila, Download.com came up without a
    hitch... bizarre?

    and DL.com STILL didn't come up via ethernet even after I reformatted my
    C: drive and re-installed XP. I'm calling RR to tell them what's going on.

    Sybil, Sep 26, 2006
  9. they'll likely swap out their modem as the do in a knee jerk reaction to
    problems which means you either wait around for a day for the cable person
    to show up or you go down to one of their stores with your equipment... let
    us know if the new equipment solves it or if your computer is indeed the
    problem.

    Christopher Muto, Sep 26, 2006
  10. Muse Gruppes

    Tom Scales Guest

    Actually, that gave me an idea. The modem may just need a reset to refresh
    the DNS. Try unplugging the modem for 2-3 minutes, shutting your computer
    completely down, shutting down your router (i.e. power EVERYTHING OFF).

    Then bring them up in the order: modem, wait a minute, router, wait a
    minute, computer.

    Might clear everything out. Works for me on my wierd problems.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 26, 2006
  11. Hate to say it and people don't want to hear it but it all depends
    on where they go and what they do on the Internet. I have a
    Windows 2000 Pro machine that has been up and running for
    almost a year with no active virus protection and the standard
    firewall that comes with M$. The last time I did a thorough
    scan which was a few weeks ago, zero viruses/invasions. I
    don't go to porn sites, or gambling sites or shopping malls, or
    any of that type of stuff. I don't do preview in my email client
    and I delete ALL emails that I haven't specifically requested
    before I even see them. Therefore I have a clean computer.
    But, people don't want to hear that since they want to do what
    they want to do. Fine with me, more work. So, if they don't
    keep good backups and the computer has to be wiped to get
    it to work properly, it's their own fault. Some people MUST
    experience a catastrophy before they change their behavior
    even in the slightest. My other machine is a Linux machine.
    People don't want to learn anything new. They just want to
    do the same thing over and over and over. Upgrading scares
    them, something new to learn. Stop ranting.

    later.....

    ***** charles, Sep 27, 2006
  12. You omitted the very significant fact that the Win2K box is sitting
    behind a router which provides both a firewall and NAT. If your
    Windows firewall has no open ports (ie. file sharing disabled, no
    peer2peer/BT/game ports open, etc.) then you'll probably be OK, but if
    any popular port is open there's a very good chance that box will be
    pwned by just being left on (you don't even have to open a browser or
    email client). Even if you're not careful in Linux, eg. use a
    weak/default ssh password, there's a very good chance the box will be
    taken over if it's merely left on. The only port I leave open is 22,
    and in the last month I've had over 100 people try to log in by randomly
    guessing usernames and passwords. I have no doubt between 99-100% of
    those attempts are done by a script which simply randomly checks IP's
    for an open port 22 and simply starts to hammer. The linux server
    doesn't even have a web browser or email client installed, so "where
    go and what do on the Internet" has no baring on this machine being
    taken over. Although personally I'm not too worried, I use strong
    passwords and I wrote a script to block any IP's which attempt & fail to
    log more than 3 times in an hour with an iptables rule.

    Nicholas Andrade, Sep 27, 2006
  13. Muse Gruppes

    paulmd Guest

    Which for Win2000 is no built in firewall. XP has a built in firewall
    that sucks.

    paulmd, Sep 27, 2006

  14. And I also do not leave it on when I am not using it. Some days it is on
    more than others.

    later....

    ***** charles, Sep 27, 2006
  15. Muse Gruppes

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not bizarro at all! Cable modems with both USB and Ethernet ports are an
    either-or proposition. Either they use the USB port, or the Ethernet port, but
    not both at the same time. Not only that, but if you switch from one to the
    other, you MUST power cycle the modem, i.e. power it down, wait a couple of
    minutes, change the connection type and power it up again.

    Or maybe it really is bizarre, if you could freely browse the internet via
    Ethernet EXCEPT for download.com .. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 27, 2006
  16. Muse Gruppes

    Clint Guest

    Well, in the case of my parents computer, the first things I was trying to
    do was download XP SP2 so I could GET the firewall loaded and running.
    Nothing else. No other websites, no e-mail, nothing.

    I'm not sure if the Telus (Western Canadian ISP) is so infested with viruses
    and crap, or whether we were just "lucky"... But none of the stuff you said
    applied, unless I wanted to install Linux on it, which I didn't. :)

    Clint

    Clint, Sep 27, 2006
  17. you got it!

    I'm contacting CNet now to barrage them with shite.

    :)

    Minister Rennasaince Faire-A-Con, Sep 27, 2006
  18. The original release of XP as well as SP1 already includes a firewall;
    you can access it by selecting the right most tab of the interface
    properties in network connections. SP2's firewall is much more user
    friendly (and easier to find), but both only block inbound connections.

    Fore more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

    Nicholas Andrade, Sep 28, 2006