    just restarts again. I wonder if anyone could suggest anything that I
    might have set wrong. It's driving me mad. Thanks for any help. Andy

    , Dec 18, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hi, I've got a DP35DP motherboard, with Q6700 Quad, The OS install all
    > as expected but computer will not shut down, I've tried Vista, XP,
    > Ubuntu. It shuts down as you'd expected, but about 3 seconds later it
    > just restarts again. I wonder if anyone could suggest anything that I
    > might have set wrong. It's driving me mad. Thanks for any help. Andy

    There are three common causes:
    1 - power supply lacks a signal to shut down. Look for the signal jumper
    wires from the p/s connected incorrectly to the header. Usually the
    jumper header with the reset and other connectors, with lots of wires in
    a hard-to-see spot.

    2 - BIOS misconfigured in some way, try Ubuntu with the 'noacpi' boot
    option. ACPI is usually the cause there.

    3 - BIOS is broken in some way and just isn't telling the p/s to quit.
    If quad core was added to a dual core BIOS this is more likely, although
    last choice for anything "common."

    I'd concentrate on #2, see the BIOS setting for what to do if power
    drops and comes back on, if you have it set to "ON" in some cases it
    will power up after shutdown.

    --
    Bill Davidsen
    He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting

    Bill Davidsen, Dec 21, 2007