    Tomato TX100 VIAVPX chipset motherboard
    Avance Logic ALS100+ sound card (on ISA slot)
    DMA is enabled for all drives.

    Amol Khiste, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Amol Khiste

    jamotto Guest

    The only suggestion I have is to try and move the sound card to a
    different ISA slot (further away from your hard drive and cd rom) if
    you can. ;some sound cards have problems picking up interference from
    hard drives, fans etc.

    good luck

    jamotto, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Amol Khiste

    Ron Cook Guest

    As it's present under Windows and Linux it would point to a hardware
    addressing or a hardware interrupt problem.

    This appears to be a PnP-style card.
    Watch the boot screen(s) and you should see the interrupt (IRQ)
    assigned by the BIOS during the boot process to the sound card.

    Reboot the machine and enter the BIOS setup routine.

    One of the menu options should allow you to manually assign an
    interrupt to the specific slot in which the sound card is installed.

    If this is allowed try assigning an interrupt to the slot such as 10
    or 11; try to stay away from the more commonly used interrupts such as
    12, 14, 15, 3, 4, 9, 7.

    Any cards in your PCI slots should adjust themselves to take care of
    their interrupt requirements.

    Hope this helps.

    Ron n1zhi

    Ron Cook, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Amol Khiste

    jamotto Guest

    Ron's idea sounds good but I would like to add if you use his idea
    while you are in the bios to be sure and set the bios setting "PNP OS
    Installed" to enabled so the bios will not override the attempt to
    change the ISA interrupt since your computer I think is to old to
    support the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
    initiative.

    Also setting "PNP OS Installed" to enabled will help the Linux config.
    Linux should come with a tool called "ISAPNPTOOLS" which will help you
    get your ISA card working in Linux by setting the interrupts. This
    software will require the "PNP OS Installed" to be enabled.

    good luck

    jamotto, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Amol Khiste

    Amol Khiste Guest

    Thanks for your replies.
    I tried changing the IRQs to 10 and 11, but it did not help. Also,
    the card is already farthest from the hard disks and CPU, so
    interference is minimum. I also observed that the sound gets
    distorted when playing CPU intensive audio files such as mp3 and the
    CPU usage is high. Sound is not distorted for other files such as
    ..wav files.

    Amol Khiste, Nov 1, 2003
  6. Amol Khiste

    Amol Khiste Guest

    Some improvement: Setting the ISA bus clock speed in the BIOS to a
    higher value reduces distortion, but it does not completely do away
    with it.
    For e.g., my PCLCLK speed is 33.3 MHz. Setting the ISA bus clock
    speed to PCLCLK/2 reduces distortion. At PCLCLK/12, it was really
    bad.

    Amol Khiste, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Amol Khiste

    LGJ Guest

    since the card works i don't think is related to IRQ or else it won't
    work at all.

    that acctually tells you the problem, you need a faster system. i
    think that it is not decoding the song fast enough. you probably see
    the same thing when playing mpegs, don't you.

    just my 2cents --LGJ

    LGJ, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Amol Khiste

    Amol Khiste Guest

    Yes I suppose I need a faster system. I see the same thing for mpegs.
    But i have seen similar speed systems play mp3 and mpegs without any
    distortion, even when CPU usage/disk access is high. So was wondering
    if speed was the problem.

    Amol Khiste, Nov 7, 2003