  1. Is it feasible to swap my computer drive?

    My late 2006 Imac has a 250-gigabyte drive in it, and I want a bigger
    one in it.

    Robert Montgomery, Jan 25, 2011

  2. Yes, it is feasible. See ifixit.com, which has excellent step-by-step
    guides, with photos, for such things. (The guides are free, I might add,
    though they are quite happy to sell you parts to go do it).

    However.... that replacement is rated as of "moderate" difficulty (I
    made a guess as to which exact model you had, but the difficulty is
    probably simillar for all of the possibilities).

    Depending on how comfortable/skilled you are at such things, it might be
    simpler to just connect an external drive for the extra space. You can
    study the guide at ifix to estimate that for yourself.

    Richard Maine, Jan 25, 2011

  3. Three days ago I replaced a 250 GB drive in my wife's 2005 G5 iMac with
    a 500 GB one; the original 250 GB drive was getting flaky, and replacing
    it before it bit the dust seemed to be a good idea. The only reason I
    didn't put an even larger drive in was that 500 GB is a lot larger than
    required, and I saw no reason to pay more for capacity that won't be
    needed. If your iMac is the one I think it is, you can put hard drives
    in it as large as 3 TB. But consider the cost of external hard drives,
    and the other good things you can do with them (backup, storage,
    additional boot-up location). You may decide that for a comparable
    amount of money you're better off getting a relatively small internal
    hard drive and a huge external one.

    While you're at it, you might consider partitioning the new internal
    drive, a large partition for daily use and a small one (say 25 GB) as a
    repair partition -- boot up on the repair partition to do things you
    can't do to the main partition when you're booted up from it (e.g.,
    check the main partition with DiskWarrior). Make the main partition the
    first one in the partition table, putting the repair partition at the
    end.

    Go to the Other World Computing website
    <http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/index.cfm>
    and enter in the details of your iMac model. You can find out which hard
    drives are suitable. Then go to
    <http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/>
    and download the appropriate video to see exactly how to do the job. I'm
    glad I did that -- the video pointed out that I'd need a Torx
    screwdriver that I didn't have. So I bought that from them too, on the
    same order with the replacement hard drive. I've been dealing with these
    people since about 1990, and recommend them highly.

    Opinions vary as to the longevity of different makes of hard drives. I
    chose one made by Hitachi. Five years from now I should be able to tell
    you whether that was a good choice -- many recent postings suggest that
    it is.

    David

    David Ryeburn, Jan 25, 2011
  4. Robert Montgomery

    Alan Browne Guest

    Yep.

    I did it myself a few weeks ago. 45 minutes.

    Make sure you have all the tools - including the smaller of the range of
    Torx screwdrivers.

    I assume you have the white polycarb iMac?

    Here's what the process looks like:
    http://jasontomczak.com/2007/11/23/4/

    I'd suggest you use a program like iStat Pro to monitor temperatures of
    the disk before change. Record the highs during usual use.

    Then check again after the new drive is in there.

    Alan Browne, Jan 25, 2011
  5. Robert Montgomery

    Lewis Guest

    I recommend against partitioning a drive. The main reason is, drives are
    cheap. Use other drive for your repair image and tools and such. Also,
    if there is a problem with your hard drive, now there is also a problem
    with your repair partition, so you're totally screwed.

    Lewis, Jan 26, 2011
  6. Not if the problem is not mechanical and just with the main partition.
    Then booting up on the repair partition of the same drive, which is
    already there, can be done more quickly than dragging out and connecting
    the external drive.

    I would also recommend one have, and use when necessary, an external
    drive (I've got four of them, two for PPC Macs and two for Intel Macs).
    But you're right, putting sole reliance on a repair partition on the
    same drive would be very unwise. What's on the external drive is a clone
    of what's on the repair partition.

    David

    David Ryeburn, Jan 26, 2011
  7. Robert Montgomery

    John Albert Guest

    "I recommend against partitioning a drive. The main reason
    is, drives are cheap. Use other drive for your repair image
    and tools and such. Also, if there is a problem with your
    hard drive, now there is also a problem with your repair
    partition, so you're totally screwed."

    I recommend exactly the opposite.

    Having an "emergency partition" may not protect you against
    a hardware failure of the drive itself, but can be just what
    you need if something goes wrong with the software on your
    "main" partition.

    I've partitioned nearly all my drives for many years,
    primarily to segregate "important" files from non-important
    ones. It's worked very well for me.

    Having said that, you DO need at least a "second hard drive"
    that can indeed provide a backup in case of a total failure
    of your main (partitioned) drive.

    John Albert, Jan 26, 2011
  8. Robert Montgomery

    Lewis Guest

    This is only relevant if you only have a single drive.
    I stopped partitioning drives shortly after HFS+ became standard.
    So the partition is a waste of time.

    Lewis, Jan 26, 2011
  9. Robert Montgomery

    Guest Guest

    partitioning a laptop drive means you don't need to carry multiple
    drives wherever you go. as for the teenage boys downloading stuff, he
    probably set it up so that whatever they downloaded would fill the
    partition and not corrupt the system (a bug that won't ever be fixed).

    Guest, Jan 26, 2011
  10. Robert Montgomery

    Wes Groleau Guest

    For a desktop, maybe. For a portable, no.

    And not always for a desktop. Back when our family had only one Mac,
    I had to partition the drive to keep teenage boys from shutting down the
    system with downloaded music, graphics, and games.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    “If it wasn't for that blasted back-hoe,
    a hundred of us could be working with shovelsâ€
    “Yeah, and if it weren't for our shovels,
    a thousand of us could be working with spoons."

    Wes Groleau, Jan 26, 2011
  11. Robert Montgomery

    Guest Guest

    those who want additional partitions, whether it's for an emergency
    boot volume or for downloaded files or whatever other reason, they
    could have it all on the internal drive and not need to carry anything
    else.

    desktop computers don't generally move so it doesn't matter whether
    it's partitioned or there's a chain of many drives.

    for those who don't need additional partitions, and most people don't,
    then it's a non-issue.

    Guest, Jan 26, 2011
  12. Robert Montgomery

    Lewis Guest

    I don't see how partitioning is relevant to that?

    Lewis, Jan 26, 2011
  13. Why would you need to do that? And how does partitioning remove that
    need? I've been using laptops for years and have never found it
    necessary to carry multiple drives around.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 26, 2011
  14. Robert Montgomery

    Alan Browne Guest

    I'm thinking of using an old flash card via a USB reader as an emergency
    boot device. 8 GB should be enough.

    Alan Browne, Jan 26, 2011
  15. Teenage boys, eh. Wonder what kind of "graphics" that was. :)

    Though that would usually not be on a family shared computer, it's true.

    Richard Maine, Jan 26, 2011
  16. Robert Montgomery

    Guest Guest

    the problem is if you fill the boot drive, the system will be unable to
    write out some files and potentially corrupt the drive.

    Guest, Jan 26, 2011
  17. Robert Montgomery

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Precisely. Except that they never corrupted the system--merely made it
    unusable with lack of swap space.

    Wes Groleau, Jan 27, 2011
  18. Robert Montgomery

    Wes Groleau Guest

    You may have missed an earlier post where someone made a partition
    to hold a recovery O.S. and someone else said that's a waste of time;
    just get another drive.

    Wes Groleau, Jan 27, 2011
  19. Robert Montgomery

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Martial arts, monsters, humor. I know what you're thinking, and if
    they wasted any time in that department, they did it elsewhere.

    Wes Groleau, Jan 27, 2011
  20. Robert Montgomery

    Alan Baker Guest

    Yup. You can google the takeapart information you'll need.
    No problem.

    Alan Baker, Jan 27, 2011