    show up in Windows and am unable to access it. This same computer was
    running this same h/d fine before, what could be causing this?

    Thanks for any input

    Doc, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Doc

    CJT Guest

    It depends what you did with it in the other system, and what OS the
    other system was running. For instance, did you repartition and/or
    reformat it?

    What does fdisk show?

    CJT, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Doc

    Doc Guest

    I forgot to mention that I changed it to NTFS. Would that cause a problem?
    I'm not familiar with fdisk. How is this done?

    Doc, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Doc

    Ingeborg Guest

    Yes. W98 doesn't recognize NTFS partitions. You have two possibilities:
    1: Convert the NTFS partition to FAT32. Partition Magic can do this.
    2: Delete the partition and recreate a new one. This will destroy all
    your data.
    To do so, boot to MsDos, type fdisk <enter>. Select the right disk,
    (make sure you've got the right disk by showing it's patitions!), delete
    the NTFS partition. It can be listed as 'unknown format' or something
    like that.

    When your 1st drive only contains a C: partition you can create a primary
    partition now, else you have to mage an extended partition, and create a
    logical partition inside it. (When you create a primary partition, it
    will become D:, shifting your old D: to E:).

    When done, close fdisk and reboot (ctrl-alt-del). Boot to msdos again.
    The new partition is recognizable now, but not yet formatted. Guess which
    drive letter it has now, e.g. D:
    type
    D: <enter>
    dir <enter>
    When the system says something like 'unformatted paritition' you can type
    format D: <enter>. If not, try another letter.

    Ingeborg, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Doc

    HF Guest

    HF, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Doc

    CJT Guest

    Yes, that'll do it. What you do next is up to you. If you have data on
    it that you want to preserve, you'll need to put it back on a machine
    that supports NTFS.
    If you don't care about the data on the drive, you can start from
    scratch. From an MS-DOS box, type "fdisk" and repartition. Then
    re-format. Because any mistake in this process can result in data
    loss, and you are not familiar with this process, I suggest getting
    someone who has done it before to help you.

    CJT, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Doc

    K Doty Guest

    Might have over wrote some programs or drivers on the system it was on.
    being was the system you put it on newer, and a newer operating system.
    being the case to save you a lot of trouble. consider reformating it.

    K Doty, Feb 8, 2005
  8. A BIOS recognizes the drive as hardware, but Windows recognizes
    partitions. Could the new system have modified the partition table?
    Was the drive written to at all? Of course, it could have simply failed,
    but that seems unlikely.

    L David Matheny, Feb 8, 2005