drive replacement steps for Precision 650

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mimi Bousson, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Mimi Bousson

    Mimi Bousson Guest

    hello

    can someone post really simple directions for replacing a failing drive on a dell
    precision 650

    here's the background:
    the system has two (2) serial ATA drives configured as raid array 0 (based on the
    bootup messages and the raid array manager diagnostics)

    my current understanding is, that if just one of the drives is displaying bad
    symptoms, it would be best to replace them both at the same time

    I know how to make a ghost 8.5 image of the drive, but am wondering if it's just that
    simple as just imaging drive C: to a server, then drive D: (both booted via CD to free
    up filelocks) and then connecting the new SATA drives and dropping C: image on one
    drive and D: image on the other ?

    how do I know which drive becomes C and which one becomes D as serial ata drives do
    not identify master/slave but do their 'selection' automatically via the sata
    controller at bootup

    any helpful guidance welcome

    Mimi Bousson, Sep 30, 2005