Driver change to 5440 Deskjet causes it to disappear from configuration

Discussion in 'HP' started by gjpayroll89, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. gjpayroll89

    gjpayroll89 Guest

    I have several PC's running XP (Home & Media Center) in a workgroup,
    which communicate with our main computer through the Remote Desktop.
    We've had trouble getting the local printers to "Show up" on the host
    side, and have had to reconfigure the HP 5440's to be 990c's (HP told
    me this was a "Universal" driver). I have had this work every time
    until today.

    On a new PC (running XP media center) it allows me to change the driver
    to 990c, but once I do that, it removes it from the "Printers and
    Faxes" configuration. I even tried changing it to an LPT port, to no
    avail.

    Any idea why this method would suddenly no longer work? It is possible
    there is something different about this PC from the others, but can't
    imagine what.

    Thanks for any help.

    gjpayroll89, Nov 8, 2006